Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for front end conversion info.... Did a search: nothing!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmyjack, Apr 19, 2003.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Looking at what I need to do a 6 to 8 lug front end conversion. I searched up to last year and only two names came up. They were both Chulisohombre. What I'm looking for is: Do I only need to replace the rotors and hubs? Or is the spindle also nescessary? I think I remember reading it wasn't needed but I want to make sure. All the junkyards want $700 with an exchange. I tell them all I don't want the set, just the front...... they don't have my sense of humor /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. Pep Boys sells a rotor/hub assembly for $99 each. The brakes pads and all are the same right? I need to replace my current rotors anyway so think this is the way to go.

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    All the junkyards want $700

[/ QUOTE ]
    That price is ridiculous.
    I bought a complete set of 3/4 ton axles for $250 - no exchange, no BS, everything included.
    Instead of trying to get just the parts off of it, maybe buy the whole front axle. Might be cheaper.
    -- Mike

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes it is just your rotors and hubs. They are around $100 apiece everywhere. Calipers and spindles are resuseable. It is a simple project unless you need different gears becuse you swapped in a 14 bolt or something then it's probably cheaper to just try and buy an 8 lug front. I just got one hub to hub for $50. PM me with any questions I am in the middle of front and rear axle rebuilds.

-Brian

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

That IS the price for the whole front end. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Junkyards around here are a joke. Everythings is gold plated or something.
    I just bought 2 15" 8 lug wheels for $40 along with a brand new set of tires so when it comes time to rotate them I don't want to have to swap tires and rims. Like I said Pep Boys is selling a brand new hub and rotor set already pressed together for $99. Can't beat that price I don't think. And thanks for the fast replies people!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check out the Tech section of the site also. There's a good article in there on what's needed and how to do the job. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

You should have found more on a search .. make sure you look at all the fields. Set it to "All forums" or search both the Garage, and the 73 and up forums , and make sure you're searching back more than one week. This has been covered a lot. Try a few different terms in there. I just searched for 8 lug conversion and found well over 100 posts in the last 6 months

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Harry thanks for the heads up! Chris I did the all forums, finally got fed up and looked up to last year. I entered front end conversions, 6 to 8 lug conversions, I didn't try 3/4 front end tho, I'll check that next.

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

The spindles are the same for 77 up hubs. If you get 76 or earlier hubs youll have to swap the spindles. Dont forget the backing plates for the caliper.

When I did mine I swapped everything except the caliper, lock out, stub axle and the spindle from the cast knuckle out. I sprung for new bearings races and seals at the same time but its not FULLY ness. if all thats new or in good shape now. Its a real easy conversion. If you can pack your whel bearing you can do it. Make sure you mark where the spindle is in relation to the knuckle. SOME spindles are shimmed. Basicly "spacer rings" between the spindle and the knuckle/backing plate that are tapered. Ive only seen it once, but make sure you get everything back the way it came off. DONT mess them up. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I did a fast search and came up w/ a bunch. Search all forums all posts.

I have found w/ the search that less is more. I searched "8 lug swap". The less you put in the more results youll get. You may have to fish thru some stuff but youll get a better search.

Also, look here. Good write up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

yep thanx for saying my name.i learned a lot from trying to get mine together.hubs are different 69-76 and 77-91.i think the spindles stayed the same from 44 to 10 bolt.but bearing size is different on the later axles.if you can get everything form the knuckle out you will be alright.mine cost 250$ but id check a few places before id spend 700 dollars.you could get a rebuilt axle for that price.

10. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I found out today that the circumference of the 8 lug rotor is much bigger than the 6 so I guess I gotsta get new backing plates too huh?

11. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

thats why i said you need everything from the knuckle out.spindle,hub,rotor,backing plate are different.

12. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here is a post that thatK30guy made-

[ QUOTE ]
    GM has two different types of axles: the "first design" and the "second design". For those who dont know the difference, the "first" goes from 73-76. The "second" goes from 77 to 91. Some differences are:

1. Backing plates are ALL diffferent. Both 1/2 and 3/4 ton for both designs are NOT the same thing. 3/4 tons are larger diameter than the 1/2 tons. There are currently 6 different types of backing plates. The 1/2 ton has the 73-76, 77-80, and 81-91. 3/4 ton is the same years, but only bigger around.

2. Bearing hub and rotors are different. There are 4 types. 73-76 use a smaller wheel bearing on both the 1/2 and 3/4 ton. The 1/2 ton bearing hub is an internal drive. 3/4 tons were available in both the internal and external drives. 77 and newer bearing hubs are the same size wheel bearing. 1/2 and 3/4 tons are all internal drives. The differences in the rotor diameter is the fact that the 3/4 tons are larger around than the 1/2 tons. This is why the backing plates are larger around than the 1/2 tons. If you use a 1/2 ton backing plate on a 3/4 ton rotor, the caliper will NOT even align up with the bolts. If the 1/2 ton rotor is used with the 3/4 ton backing plates, the caliper will NOT have enough pad contact with the rotor.

3. Spindles. 73-76 are one type only. They are "first design" small bearings. 1/2 and 3/4 ton spindles are interchangable. 77-91 spindles are "second design" and all interchangable between 1/2 and 3/4 tons. You cannot use a first design spindle with a second design bearing hub & rotor. The hub will wobble in place. If the second design spindle is used with a first design bearing hub, the hub will not even go on at all.

4. D44 and 10B axle shafts are not interchangable. The D44 shafts measure: right - 36.13"
    left - 18.31"
    10B shafts measure: right - 35.46"
    left - 19.15"

5. Steering knuckles. D44's have the infamous "flat top" knuckles on the passenger side. These are good for the crossover steering for where the steering arm is mounted on top of the knuckle after machine work and drilling has been done. The 10B knuckles have NO flat surface whatsoever. Machine work would be excessive to make the crossover work and therefore would be easier and cheaper to locate the correct knuckle off a D44.

All in all, when doing a swap like this, try to round up the parts off one truck to use on the other. Such parts to swap over would be: backing plates, spindles, bearing hub & rotors, and if desired for crossover steering, the knuckles.

The knuckles do NOT need to be changed if you do not plan on the crossover steering.

It all boils down to this: D44 and 10B parts ARE interchangable from the knuckles out. Anything else from the knuckles in is NOT interchangable.

ALL calipers on both D44 and 10B are compatible with either axle. Even the first and second design axles are compatible with BOTH 1/2 and 3/4 ton calipers. So, whatever swap you plan on doing, you can retain your stock calipers.
    When stepping up to the big D60, this is a whole different ball game. Nothing is interchangable from the D44 and 10B to the D60

[/ QUOTE ]

I found this to be pretty useful.