Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for good tire reviews

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Guy, Sep 26, 2000.

1. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

There appear to only be a handfull of tires to consider: bfgs, procomp, TSL, Thornbirds, Swampers, etc.

Does anyone have a web page that has some basic comparison info. Maybe shows some picture of the tread, and some idea of strengths / weaknesses of each?

Thanks much,

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

2. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

3. Well I'll give you a few ideas.
    1. For mostly highway driving go with an all terrain like a
    B.F.Goodrich all terrain,something along those lines.
    2. For some highway and some offroad go with a mud terrain tire like the B.F.G. mud ta's or pro comp mud terrains,also
    the good year mt/r.I've heard alot of good thing about the yokahama geolander mt's.Then there's the swamper ssr's.
    3. For mainly off road and a little highway get some SWAMPER
    TSL's or the mickey thompson claws.
    4. The best damn tire for strictky off-road is the SUPPER SWAMPER TSL SX!It will take any thing you can through at it!

For tread pics goto 4Wheel paarts whole sale they show most of the tires they sell.
    I hope this helps,good luck.I'm not an expert just a few ideas.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I have a new set of BFG AT KO's on my K5 Jimmy and love them. They are 31x10.5x15 really nice road handling compared to the old General Grabbers. I like the warranty the have too. The tires have done great in the sand, aired down to 15 psi. Not too bad in the mud, not really gooey stuff. Playing yard bandit in a industrial park. Hasnt snowed yet so I really dont know. They wear really well too. My Buddy got them in May and has put over 21000 mi. on them. I hope this is technical enough for you. I really dont know what size or application your were looking for. I just use mine for everyday use. Big tires upwards of 35" I use SSR's and Mickey Thompson Baja Hp's. The SSR'r are much better at muddy and normal conditions off-road. I wouldn't use these on icey or thin coverd snowy roads. And they are more noisy than the MT's. The MT's are really good sand tires and normal to semi mud conditions. They have no real bite to them. Really they are best for the sand and street.

5. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    All i have to say is...

BFGBFGBFGBFGBFG!

Seriously though, if you actually drive your K-5 on the road there is not a better tire out ther. If all you do is off road stuff go with anything made by Interco (Thornbird, TSL, Bogger)

Sparky

78 K-5

6. fourdawgn1

fourdawgn1 Registered Member

Hey 79 Guy. Hello from Va Beach. BFG's are always a good choice, but I run 38" Swamper Radials. It's an awesome tire. My truck see's the road eveyday(a true daily driver)and I try to wheel it when I can. So far they are wearing great. Had them on the truck about 25k and still half tread or better. They got a little growl to them but are smooth on the road. If you ever get to the beach stop by Eastern Offroad and see me. I work evenings up there and can show you some different tire choices. By the way, how do become a member of Colorado K5?
    fourdawgn1

7. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Depdog will be reviewing the the Super Swamper TSL Radial. He is gone to the Dixie Run at Telico trying out the new tires. So he will have info on how they handled on the highway and on rocks and in mud.

8. PattBlue

PattBlue Registered Member

9. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

If you are looking for inexpensive tires try the Mud Kings. Made by BFG. I got a set of 35X12.5 for $590 out the door at 4Wheel Parts Wholeslalers. This was about a year and a half ago though.

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I think that Mud Kings and Sport Kings have been discontinued. Can anyone confirm or deny? It's too bad because they were made by BFG, but didn't cost nearly as much.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Think just by the fact that you are a registered user, you ARE a member of Coloradok5! Yeehaw..........

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

12. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    You just can not go wrong with BFG's!!!
    Mud terrain or All terrain, you make the call based on your driving habits.
    They are great tires, drive great on the street, do great offroad, last forever, and you can bleed them down to nuthin and still not tear the sidewall[​IMG]

13. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have a set of 33" Mud Kings and they wear like iron.
    Seriously, two were on the truck when I bought it (with 2 mismatched fronts) and so I bought 2 new ones. I can't tell the difference between the new ones and the old ones.
    Mine's a daily driver and a mud truck on sayd off.
    If they only made 36's and 38's like these. Why do they have to stop at 35's!
    -- Mike

14. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Re: Long comparison of BFG/MT and Boggers

For what it's worth, I can tell you my experiences with 35" boggers and BFG's on the same truck over the last 2 years of wheeling and some street driving. The BFG's are much lighter tires than the boggers. They are also radials, and they ride *better* on the road than the boggers. Most of the difference in ride, to me, is the width of the tread. The bogger in my case is 16" wide, the BFG/MT are about 12". The boggers like to ride in ruts on the highway. The boggers are also MUCH harder to turn than the BFGs, mostly because of the sheer width of them. If you plant a bogger on a rock, and plan on turning the tire, grab on and turn will all your might. A little formward movement helps with that, just like manual steering :). Also, the boggers get some bad flat spots, even at 25psi. Mine have actually taken around 8-10 oz to balance, and they *are* balanced on new rims. They ride very nice on flat roads w/o ruts, no different than BFG's in this case.

As far as tread goes, the BFG has worked equally as well in the sand dunes (Silver Lake, MI) as the boggers, but with less throttle. With the boggers, on the same weekend, I had to use almost all of my at-the-time 425hpish 454. The boggers dig and dig and dig. If you do'nt have enough oomph, you will sureley get stuck in the sand. Airing them down has made little difference in the sand for the boggers, but the BFG's love about 12 psi in the sand.

Mud, well since i've got some gusto, the boggers has performed well for me. But again, if you don't have a *lot* of power, you will just go slow enough that you'll dig to China and get very stuck with only 2-3 rotations of the tires. I've been there!

Trails, they both have advantages. I've found that my boggers are a bit too wide to fit between trees easilly, but i've yet to get stuck between them (wouldn't know by my doors, tho :). I usually find myself on trails like the pipeline, ma'n'pas, and dresse, wi. These trails are very steep, lots of washouts, sand, downed old trees, some mud, and a bunch of 3' rocks. I would choose the boggers here because the width has helped me. I can hook just one lug (they stick out the sides) on a tree/rock/something that isn't round and pull that wheel up and over the obstacle. Not with the BFG's. The boggers do not flex their lugs very well at all, not even at 10psi. I would cut the large lugs in 1/2, possibly 1/3's so they conform to obstacles better. The BFGs conform just awesome at 10psi, and they seem to plant more tread area, which can be helpful. But they are not as "grabby" (see above) as the boggers. I have never stuck a stick through the sidewall of either, but the boggers have been abused a lot more on the trail. things like driving with 2 psi over rocks. That was just brutal, I could feel the rim hitting the sidewalls hitting the ground, but the tire survived (and didn't pop off the bead on a 16.5" rim!).

Also, the boggers tend to slide sideways in the sand much more than the bfgs when going slow. The mud, it isn't quite as bad, but noticable. You can't always creep around a "sand trap" on a trail that is uneven (like a "banked corner" around a tree... look at my doors). In my neck of the woods there is nothing slow about mud, so it isn't a big deal.

I hope this helps you out. This is all fact/observation based on my experiences in the last 2 years on my 77 GMC pickup. This thing weighs 5800 unloaded, and if you think your blazer is far behind i suggest you scale it.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash