Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for headers for my 88 crewcab big block

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5DRAGER, Sep 22, 2003.

1. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Looking for headers for my 88 crewcab with a big block. I'm thinking about trying to stay with a shorty style header that will connect to the original Y- pipe. Basically looking into this style for simpicity and I think the factory pipe is either 3 or 3 1/2 inch so should flow well enough for towing dutys. Let me know what your using, or have had good or bad luck with.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

This isn't really going to help you much, and will probably veer right off course with this post, but I just bought some headers, and I'll discuss them a bit.

I got the hedman elites for the '81+ trucks, small block. (69890) Coating is pretty good, aluminized looking, (not sure what it is) inside and out. Came with bolts that have small heads so you don't have real install problems. (3/8 box fits on most of them) The pipes are 14 gauge, and the flange is 3/8" thick. (meaning both are thick and should last)

The collector flange is the really cool "ball style", like what GM used on the drivers side exhaust manifold...no gasket. 3 bolts though, so also should be a nice tight seal. These flanges are $40 EACH from Summit. Also cleared everything (including hydraulic clutch)except what I'll post below.

What I didn't like was that they hit on the passenger side shackle bolt. I reversed the bolt, (so the head was towards the header) but that wasn't enough. If you look at Hedmans warranty (which looks like an excuse to get out of ever having to replace something under warranty) any alteration to the headers basically voids the warranty. (as does breaking in a new motor with them) Contacted them about my issue, and they stated that the clearance issue was typically because of lifted trucks. (not in my case)

Anyways, back to your issue. Are you dealing with a 2 or 4wd truck? I know that the elite series can be had with y-pipe, as the local shop first quoted me that "kit". Not sure what they offer (especially since I don't know if this is 2 or 4wd) but check out hedman.com, and see if they make them.

If it weren't for the shackle bolt issue, there would be NO issues with the fitment on my truck, and even though there is still an issue, it's fairly easy to work around, and I would still recommend them.

3. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, and my truck is 4x4.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

In that case, you'll just need to look at companies that list headers for the '81+ 4wd trucks with big block. Should mention the K30, only difference should be the transfercase. Dunno about the 241, but the 205 definitely throws a kink in the passenger side exhaust routing.

I really doubt you'll be able to do what you want. I was hoping to keep the dual exhaust that was on my truck(stock for the diesel, fit the 5.7L fine) stock, except shortening it a bit, but for one thing the headers extend back too far. Some shorties like you suggest may work for your idea, but I don't know who makes them for your setup.

I'd peruse summit or jegs online catalog, as you'll get most, if not all, header manufacturers listed there. Even if you can't FIND them at those two places, you should be able to check out the manufacturers website for the specfics.

I'd think of redoing my whole exhaust, but to be honest, the aftermarket hangers that I've seen are crap compared to the stock GM stuff, and the exhaust routing/quality of parts is very good even for being old. I'd rather keep as much of it intact as possible.