Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for help on tailgate/post replacement (pickup)

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by Mastiff, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This is for an 86 CUCV M1008 pickup. The posts at the back of the bed, where the tailgate hinges attach, have totally rotted away. I bought some replacement posts, and I salvaged the hinge pieces, but I'm confused about how the hinges attach.

Check out the pictures. I have the new post, and the silver piece is the hinge thing where the tailgate pivots. There are two holes in the post, but they don't even come close to aligning with the two holes on the hinge piece. Does anyone know what the deal is with this? The second pic is my best guess as to how it should attach. I'd have to make another hole for the top mount Could that be right?

If someone had, or could take, a picture of how the tailgate post and hinge looks when it's put together properly, that would be really helpful. Obviously, I need to get it right the first time. It will be hard to move the hinge once everything is welded in.

tailgate_post1.JPG

tailgate_post2.JPG

2. GR8CHIEF

GR8CHIEF Newbie

Rear post

SOrry I dont have any answers for you on how to fix it cuz I just started fixing my 89 jimmybut would love to know where you got that post? I have the same problem with the rust and need to replace my post, can you help me with where you got yours?

3. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member