Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

looking for ideas (water proof box)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Feb 11, 2007.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Hey, guys. I`m going to be doing the headlight relay mod next week, and thought of putting the relays and circuit breakers, in a little water proof box, that I could mount on the inner fender, behind the battery...I`m just looking for something simple..anyone have any suggestions?

2. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

tuper ware

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Use waterproof/resistant relays and connectors. I like the larger oval ones GM was using in the late 80's. Super easy to find in wrecking yards.

Mount them high. (like GM did) Behind a solid portion of the core support will keep them dry even if plowing a fair amount of water.

4. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Dorean. Are you suggesting using those, instead of a water proof box?

5. dyeager535

Yep.

Only thing would be the circuit breakers, but I'd just use fuses and not worry about it. They work while submerged anyway, and the only reason you'd blow one is faulty wiring. Circuit breaker really won't do anything for you, carry a spare fuse or two and forget about it. (you DO carry spare fuses anyways, right?) At least you know when a fuse blows, unlike a circuit breaker, you know exactly whats going on. :)

The circuit breakers I've seen you could easily silicone or grease the few openings they have to waterproof them if you still wanted to go that route.

6. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

:haha: :haha: :haha:

7. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Check out the plastic waterproof switch boxes at the hardware store:D If you really wanna be fancy get a thin sheet of plexi and cut it to be used as a clear cover. If the seal is broken you can tell at a glance.

8. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

yep lol tuper ware!:D

9. lurtch-k20-(78-90)

lurtch-k20-(78-90) Registered Member

Also, check at radioshack there are all sizes of "project boxes" maybe some with clear covers, and use RTV or silicone to seal it. If you are that concerned with water how did you make your connections? Butt splices, wire nuts, or twist and tape? IMO the best connection would be soldering the two wires smearing on some silicone, RTV over the solder joint and pulling heat shink over the connection and rtv, then cook it all together. So the rtv squirts out either side of the heat shrink.

10. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, this a rare occurence, but I don't agree at all Dorian.... having resetable breakers is far superior to fuses, hands down... Certainly easier to see a tripped breaker than a blown fuse..

[​IMG]

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

12. dyeager535

I'm thinking of the "automotive" style breakers that reset themselves, like you see on the fuse panel.

If you've got the style that more closely resembles "house" breakers, then yes, no problem seeing where your problem is.

But I stand by the fact that with good wiring, you won't be tripping them, so the added expense, trouble, and hassle of using them in an application that they should NEVER get tripped in, seems pointless. Obviously the circuit needs protection, but some blade fuses or whatever inline would be plenty easy and require no waterproofing.

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

sealed in a box??..

I'd suspect relays would corrode if sealed in an airtight container,that would "sweat" and form condensation..nearly all vehicle makers simply screw them to the core support or firewall,with little or no protection,or fit them in the fuse box with a non airtight cover....

I feel some airflow over them would help keep them dry,if anything,especially if warm air from the motor or radiator gets blown on them..unless you plan to sink your truck like a submarine,I doubt the relays would ever get wet enough to cause any problems..:crazy: