Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

looking for inexpensive half cab enclosure ideas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by claw77, Jan 20, 2003.

1. claw77

claw77 Registered Member

I'm looking for an inexpensive method of enclosing the open cab (not permanent). Has anyone used plexiglass? I'd like to lose the top this summer but have an enclosure to bolt on to keep out rain, etc. I know about the ones you can buy, but I'd like to go a cheaper route on the ol' 77. Thanks!

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I donno how cheap Plexiglas is. I'm thinking about redneck-cheap, involving tarps and duct tape /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh, you wanted rear visibility? <big grin>

yeah, Plexiglass prolly be good for the vertical part. See, you half cab guys got it made -- us full-vert types either gotta put up with a heeeeeavy hardtop, or freeze our butts off (and bake in the summer). Not that I'd have it any other way.

(And yeah, I own a halfcab now ... but it's got a camper on it, dammit!)

-- A

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i know ppl take back halves of pickup cabs to do this to K5's, but dunno if made to be permanent or not, never seen in person, so dunno,.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well if you wait a little I just got a pickup cab and I my plan is to cut the rear section, put a rubber seal on it, drill some holes and bolt it to the back, so I can remove it and put a full top when I want to.
    It should be a couple of weeks before I finish it though.
    Mine even has rear sliding window /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Some of the mud racers here use the plexiglass idea. It seems to work for them.

6. sanford

sanford Registered Member

I have a homemade half cap I am making. Cut 32" out of the orginal top. retained full use of the back seat, and I can still roll the back window down. I'll e mail you a pic.Instant Chevy Scabalanche

7. manyblazers

manyblazers Registered Member

I've made folding lids for all my blazers. I use 3/4 inch wood so it won't sag in the middle. I cut three pieces that fit over the bed rails and then join them with those long piano hinges. Drill holes to match up with your bolt holes . I put one hinge on the inside so that when you fold the two front pieces upwards they will fold onto the back piece near the tail gate. For the part behind the drivers head I use another piece of wood with a hole cut in it for a plexiglass window. When the whole thing is folded back I can flip up the rear seat. I use c-clamps to hold it down when it's fully open. To keep it closed I used some hooks. Looks a little goofy but with some touch up would look as good as it works. I put foam wheatherstiping between flat pieces and it's reasonable water proof.

8. ccox7

ccox7 Registered Member

I would like to see some pics of your setup Iceman, I have thought of converting mine to a fully welded in half cab.The idea of the bolt in style sounds good,can you send me some pics of it when your done. ccox7@gbronline.com

also I am in the process of buying a lift up rear window made for camper top and installing it in place of crank up rear window.I will post pics when I am finished.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I will put pics on here as soon as I am done, and for the rear, it's exactly what I am doing.
    My rear window already broke on the Rubicon so I got me a window from a camper shell.

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I haven't done it yet but will hopefully try it out if/when I find a cheap or free fiberglass top....

My plan is to basically section out the middle portion of the factory removable top. Cut out the front portion that bolts to the cab, thus giving you a good seal and the mounting locations already. Then cut out a section of the rear part of the top and attach it to the front part. The back part will give you the existing window channel that would be good for securing a plexiglass window. A simple piece of plywood could be used to close off the place between the bottom of the window and floor.

This would ideally give you a little extra cab space and theoretically be light enough for one person to take on and off.