Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

looking for info on hydro steering...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Feb 3, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

what's this i hear about getting you gearbox "tapped" and running a hydraulic ram? if you do this set-up can you just eliminate (remove) your steering arm, pitman arm and drag link? i've also heard it's very inexpensive compared to the agr system, is that so? would this be ok on a daily driver?

--Scott, 1989 GMC Suburban 2500 4" lift, 36" TSLs
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub>http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub</a>

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    As far as how easy or hard it would be, I don't have any personal information as far as how hard it would be. I believe that the AGR uses a different housing, beefed up, but they also run the stock steering system it.

As far as a daily driver. That ain't gonna happen. The first time a cop with eyes sees it, you are toast. That would have to be one of the most illegl mod's that you could ever put on a vehicle. As far as trying to drive that on a DOT approved road, that would be about as safe as using lift blocks on the front springs w/no U-bolts. The only reason that the AGR is ok, it maintains the stock mech setup &amp; system.

I hope this helps,

Corey

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez</a>

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

WARNING
    OPINION NOT FACTUAL

you would be better off using a dedicated spool/rotary valve.
    Charlyn an Eaton division is a commonly available source.
    I have a PDF file from their old site that has tons of tech info on many of their steering valves.
    interested? email me and i will send it to you

Michael Millar
    mjmillar@shaw.ca
    mjmillar@home.com
    m3millar@hotmail.com

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

4. 79k20

79k20 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.westtexasoffroad.com>www.westtexasoffroad.com</a>

<font color=orange>SEAN<font color=orange>

[​IMG]<font color=orange>79 K20(duh) D44, FF 14bolt, built 350,TH350,NP203,9"lift</font color=orange>[​IMG]

5. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Hydraulic steering is NOT D.O.T. approved. But what I (West Texas Offroad ) and AGR sells is Hydro Assist. Which is D.O.T. approved. It still uses all of your existing linkage and adds a ram to it which in turn adds between 100- 200 % more turning power. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Oh by the way, AGR kits are around $1000.
    West Texas Offroad kits are $450 or $399 for CK5 members.

6. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I highly recomend the west texas kit, I'm getting ready to install it on the UAV.

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You want to go with a kit like West Texas Offroad sells. It provides extra boost, while maintaining a solid, mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the wheels. With a hydraulic-only system, if the engine stalls, then you have no longer have any steering ability. [​IMG] A hydraulic-only system relies on the hydraulic pump to be running in order for it to operate.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

thanks for shedding some light on the subject guys! Steve, you're gonna do a tech article right? the west texas off-road kit looks cool.

--Scott, 1989 GMC Suburban 2500 4" lift, 36" TSLs
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub>http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub</a>

9. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yep

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

10. TheLakeRat

Glad I could help guys. Let me know if you have any more questions.
    And by the way Harry, If you know someone that is running full hydro and is having problems with not being able to steer without the engine running then tell them that if they get a self generating orbital valve then they can still steer. It makes manual steering seem like gold but it's better than no steering at all

11. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have a question....
    This would solve my steering problem I have posted here numerous times.... Everyone tells me x-over steering... Well this would work for me on my dana 44. Then if I got a dana 60 I could still use it. Now you say it is DOT legal.... Can you do me a favor and tell me if NJ would allow this on a truck that has to pass NJ inspection?
    I called up Winslow Inspection for High Rise Vehicles and they told me that they would not pass it. Is there a document that I could reference to them first before I buy it? cus if they will pass it sign me up for 1 today.......
    peace...
    lemme know....

just so you know what my steering problem is... it is
    14" leafs
    4" drop pitman arm
    4" s-drag link
    3" raised steering arm....
    that is 11" of suspension parts to 14" lift... I just took some pics of the truck just gotta get them off the digital camera. It shows how much my tires dont turn and how much my steering components are on a angle.....

1978 Chevy 3/4 - 14" leafs -dana 44w/4.56's -14 bolt corp w/4.56's on 40x17x16.5 Ground Hawgs on 16.5x12 steel rims-NP205&SMC465

12. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

oh yeah... the other problem with nj inspection is....
    you can only change out 2 steering components...so they say....

I am at drop pit/s-drag/raised arm so if I add a 3" block to the bottom of the arm I am 100% over the allowed components....

1978 Chevy 3/4 - 14" leafs -dana 44w/4.56's -14 bolt corp w/4.56's on 40x17x16.5 Ground Hawgs on 16.5x12 steel rims-NP205&SMC465

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I vote for West Texas as well, and I'll be voting with my money soon. With the new 42s my poor old Sagi just aint up to the chore. I've spoken with them by email and they were very helpful and quick to reply. Can't beat the price (especially with our discount) and I've heard nothing but good about them.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

14. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Holy bump-steer, Batman! You still need crossover, even if you do hydro assist. Hydro assist won't make your tires turn farther or eliminate bump steer, it just makes them easier to turn. Full Hydro would solve the problems, but should not be used on the road.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

15. TheLakeRat

I don't have any paper work on it, but they should not have any reason not to allow it because some early ford p/u and mustangs came from the factory with this type of steering.
    Maybe you should try explaining to them that you are not adding to the stock system. You are just installing a redundant system to help control things a bit. Because in truth that is what you are doing.
    I also suggest thet you go with crossover steering. While the hydro assist will help with your bumpsteer and turning radius. it won't solve it.
    Hope I helped

16. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I know for a fact that the 1973 to 1976 Ford F250s used a "hydraulic assisted" steering setup. I went to the Ford dealer and we dug up old, crusty, yellowing manuals so I could see the setup....

thebigdaddyof2

17. 80fullsize

80fullsize 1/2 ton status

Not to ruffle any feathers, but if hydraulic steering isn't DOT legal, then how is this guy knows otherwise? - (copied from a superford.org page) -

Full hydraulic steering(NO it is NOT illegal! Per conversation with Mr.Ted Baylor with the U.S. D.O.T. Accident Avoidance Division in Washington D.C. "No safety standards have been issued with regards to steering systems")

18. BadDog

Nobody is talking about "hydraulic steering" here. This is about "hydro **assist** steering" which still has the mandatory mechanical link making it legal.

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

he just quoted that full hydro WITHOUT mech linkage is legal.
    all this 'DOT says is illegal' is a crock of excriment.

20. BadDog

Ahh, good point. I should read more carefully. So, is full hydro legal or not?