Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for k5's w/ 10" or more

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BrownK5, Mar 29, 2006.

1. BrownK5

BrownK5 Registered Member

since i lifted my k5 10", it will break the rear u joint @ the t case every 3 days or so if im lucky, other wise less then that. my t case is dropped 1", driveline is lengthened, and it has 4" angled blocks. the pinion angle almost straight, and that one never busts. its just the one @ the t case . has anyone experienced this? how have you fixed it? i cant keep bustin this stuff, its my DD

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

First let me stress that you must be very carfull when doing this. But I think your yoke is screwed up. You need to spin it real fast to look at it while it is spinning. Pull the driveshafts put the truck in gear and crawl underneath. BOTH DRIVESHAFTS MUST BE REMOVED. If the yoke is wobbling you know the problem. I have about 10" of lift, I rewelded the perches on at the proper angle and I replace my u joint once a year whether it needs it or not. I have never needed to replace them more often. My t-case is not dropped at all either

3. BrownK5

BrownK5 Registered Member

O btw i just put new yokes on the rear output, and the rear pinion. do you have a cv driveshaft? did you have to grind away any material from the driveshaft so it doesnt hit the yoke?

4. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

You are eigther binding, or your yokes on the shaft are out of phase(this is what happened on mine)

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

You NEED a CV with that much lift.
    NO way a standard single joints shaft will work on a K5.

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Strange works pretty good on mine. Yes I ground a little not much but my angles are exactly right. What does the u joint look like after it explodes could you snap a picture for us. Also I ate up a cheap u joint from Checker in about a week my neapcos are great get a good u joint. More details please

7. hookbook

hookbook Newbie

I have a 78 k5 with a 10" lift. All i did was get my driveline longer. I got new u-joints for it. I have 8" lift with 2" blocks on back and haven't had a problem with it so far. But it has only been two months. Went muddin twice and no problem still.