Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for mentor in 4x4 area

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, May 8, 2003.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

I've been here for a little over a year now and know squat about how to work on my truck or what does what. Rather than keep posting stupid questions when my searches turn up bare, I'd like someone whom I can PM questions about anything and everything. Just stupid questions that would not need a post to be answered. here's an example. I just got my 1 ton axles, I plan on painting them, so i bought a degreaser and that did nothing to the caked on grease, so i just used a wire wheel and that worked wonders, but there are a lot of parts sticking off the axle and i dont know what is safe to remove, what isn't and why it's there. like the diff cover, can i remove that with out worring about anything? Those were just examples, i dont expect ansewers here. But if anyone feels like taking on the task teaching me on a more personal level than answering my posts, i'd really appreciate it.
    Branndon@Cox.net

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Branndon, a humble suggestion to you; try a find a local 4WD club. A good club will be wiling to show you the right path, so to speak.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Brandon,

The problem is that few people "know it all". That is why places like ColoradoK5 are great. Collectively, we all know just about everything there is to know about Chevy trucks and modifications to them. Singularly, I'm not sure that is the case. I would go ahead and post these questions so that others who might not be as active as you can read and learn.

So if you are working on a 14BFF and want to know which bolt to take off to do whatever, or what the torque is on this item, search, then if nothing is readily availbile, post it up! Everyone starts somewhere. Another good item that i have found is the factory service manuals. They give some good info on how to do alot of this stuff.

JMHO.

4. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

there's 13,000 mentor's right here...that's what this place is all about.

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'd be happy to answer any questions for you via PM...but like Zakk said, there's a good chance I (or whoever you send these PM's to) won't know an answer to every question.
    In any case, I'm open for any questions you may have.

Here's a suggestion...as you're reading posts and someone says something that maybe pertains to something you're doing or you have a question about what they said, shoot them a PM about it. I can't imagine there's anyone on here that would feel burdened by that. We're all here to help eachother. Afterall, what use does knowledge serve if not passed on to others?

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks guys, i've got some people who i can pick on with my questions now. lol. I really appreciate your guys help. I'll pm the guys who said i can, thanks again to zakk for always PMing me in the past to help me. and thanks to everyone else who pm'ed me in responce to this and posted here... i'll soon be helping others here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

personally, i think you should just post your "stupid questions" because i'm at the same place (mechanically wise) as you and i'd like to see the answers too! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I agree with the rest. Post up if you can't find it. Most of us started that way. Not knowing squat when we got here, and learning by reading and posting.

If you have specific questions though, feel free to PM me at any time. I will help you as much as possible. I don't know it all (wish I did) but I will be happy to share any piece of insite I have with you.

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks guys, i've got some people who i can pick on with my questions now. lol. I really appreciate your guys help. I'll pm the guys who said i can, thanks again to zakk for always PMing me in the past to help me. and thanks to everyone else who pm'ed me in responce to this and posted here... i'll soon be helping others here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

w3rd /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Just to kind of echo what everyone else has said, keep reading and posting if you want to learn. One thing I've done, is kept mental notes of other users that have similar setups in their K5. For example, I know that Grim and Borrego (and countless others) have a TH350, and have pulled it out at one point in time. When I was getting ready to drop mine, I sent a pm asking about kickdown cable removal. There were no posts on it that I could find, and I got my answer really quickly. I don't think anyone here minds responding to a PM like that (at least they didn't tell me to my face) /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you might think those are stupid questions to ask in the forum BUT they are NOT keep asking them because when you ask that question and get it answered then someone else that didn't know the answer gets to see as well

12. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I'll reiterate bobsurf's reiteration /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif . Keep an eye on who has what kind of truck/mods and the types of posts people respond to. That way if you come up empty on a search or even a post, you know who you can PM. Usually literally hundreds of people have the answer you're looking for, but most people don't have time to read every post. So a PM is a good way to get their attention /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif .

13. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

And to reiterate Panther's reiterated reiteration ........ Giddyup.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

u have a pm.

j

15. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks everyone, i now have more help than i know what to do with... but thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Move in next door to me, build a big shop, and I'll help you a bunch....(For a stall of course /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

But seriously, just read here, and ask lots of questions....
    Yhe only dumb question, is the one that doesn't get asked /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif