Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for Michigan Trails

Discussion in 'Blazin Trails' started by cityfarmer2, Mar 10, 2000.

1. cityfarmer2

cityfarmer2 Guest

Like most states Michigan is loosing it trails.I grew up there and miss the fire breaks and power line right of way trails those trails went for miles and miles and nothing but trees and wild life. I from central part of MI but I 've been all over the Huron side looking for info on the U.P. or the Traviscity area.Thanks Gary....

2. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I'm from mmm about 30 minutes south of grand rapids. I don't know of any "good" trails....i know of lots of trails though. I have a lot of two-tracks out by me. i live next to barry county state land. Cadillac has quite a few trails all over the place....some are actually muddy and fun...most are just dirt tracks w/some rutted hill climbs. most of the mud we get to is at mud runs during the summer. do you have any secret spots??

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

3. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

There is mud lake in saint helen it can be good there at times. Got stuck there for 7 hrs.. yuck..

Scott
    78blazer

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The best wheelin' that I know of in Michigan is Silver Lake, Baby! It doesn't count as a trail, but it is an experience that noone soon forgets. From what I'm told, it's the only place East of the Mississippi where it is legal to wheel on real dunes. The challenge is not in the softness of the sand, it is in the steepness of the big dunes. There is a huge run over several dunes where you can only go in one direction (for safety: you could never see someone coming up the other side) and large open areas to wheel. There are sand drags where the lineups alternate between the quad-runners, dune buggys and trucks (advice: only race against the trucks [​IMG]). There are also big mud holes and you can drive right up next to Lake Michigan. Fun for the whole family: just try to keep your lunch from riding on top of your back window as you shoot up the dunes and don't even bother with any fuel induction besides a Q-Jet or EFI. They also sponsor annual events like pro drags and hill climbs where the Nitrous Buggies show up to mock the dunes.

Having the State of Michigan run something that cool can't last forever.

Try this link. It gives a good writeup of the dunes even though it's about a Jeep.
    http:// http://www.alphaamericainc.com/oor/Trails/SilverLake/silverlake.htm
    http:// http://www.Oceana.net/SilverLake/

<font color=blue>"Anytime you tie the Flyers, you are going to have a tight ball game." Buffalo captain Michael Peca</font color=blue>

5. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

Check out www.bayarea4wheelers.com. We are a mid-michigan club that goes wheeling all over MI. Check out the events schedule. Reply if you are interested in coming along on any of them. I have the gold multi-colored rusted K5. Concerning Silver Lake. I have heard through the grapevine that there is a petition out that would make trucks illegal there (Neighbors complaining about excessive noise when trucks are going down road). If anything there is going to be a limit on decibles.