Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for new ESC emblem.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82K5, Apr 23, 2000.

1. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

I have looked all over, but cannot find any source for the ESC emblem that goes on my tailgate. I have tried LMC, but haven't seen their new Blazer/Jimmy catalog yet. Here is a pic of what it looks like. Pic is not great, but it's dark outside and I had to use my Maglite to illuminate it. If anyone knows where I can get a new one or if you can give me some helpful hints on how to make it look new again, I would appreciate it. BTW, these Sony Mavica cameras sure do make sending pics a breeze.

Phil
    82K5

2. espen

espen Registered Member

Easy to restore old signs with the following procedure:
    The raised letters need to be painted in the first step. Let dry til next day. Then you use your finger and apply some vaseline on the top of each of the letters. Now you spray the background color on there. After everything is dry you gently rubb the letters with some turtlewax and the color comes right back. clearcoat it and you got a "better than new" apperance.
    If you would like to keep some parts crome, use the same trick with the vaseline.
    Good luck. Take before and after pictures.
    Espen

3. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

is that flat black?
    i would spray paint the whole thing, then drag a razor blade across the top of all the letters.
    if you want contrasting colors, use espen's method, or a hobby paint brush. i did the tank emblems all the time on my motorcycles.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

4. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

It daylight now, so here's a better pic of my ESC emblem. BTW, did these emblems only come on 82's? I have started seeing them on a few pickups and when I go around to look at the front end they all have the 81-82 ice cube tray grille.

Phil
    82K5

5. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

Espen, thanks for the info. It seems the letters are chrome and the background is black. I guess I could use some chrome paint and then do the vaseline or liquid mask on the top of the letters and spray it black. I have posted a better pic of the emblem and will toss in another pic of the rear on this post.

Phil
    82K5