Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for options on my build

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUPER'BURB, Nov 25, 2005.

1. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

Well I was driving my burb 70-120 miles a day for work but it seems the boss dosn't want to pay the gas any more. He said he will buy me a comuter truck (read 4 banger). Aparently it is less expensive to buy a truck insure it and pay gas on it than pay gas on the burb :D .

So now that it dosn't need to live with that type of driving very often I want to go a bit bigger and stronger.

My signature says what I have now.

I need it to work with in these 2 perameters.....

1) Be reliable enough to take on road trips (400-600 miles) for camping and hunting.

2) Be a good all around wheeler (I dont do much in the way of rocks but I like to be able if the need arises).

My thoughts at this time are.....

1) Get a Dana 60 front.

2) Remove body lift and 4" lift.

3) Add BDS 6" Front springs 4" Flip in rear and whatever springs in the rear will bring it to level.

4) Bedliner the roof (from panel molding up) and sides (from body fold down).

5) Add roof rack with spare mount (not sure if I could get a tire on and off it alone though).

6) Some sort of on board air system.

7) Trimming fenders, rear quarters and rockers and reinforcing with steal where it is needed.

8) Some sort of steal bumpers with a winch up front (unsure of size).

9) Finally...... When the tires go Step up to a larger size (not sure what yet).

If you guys have any recommendations I would love to here them even if it means telling me I am dumb.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If I was you, I'd keep the lift at 4". How much bodylift does it have? Are there springs or blocks in the rear for that 4"? If either, I'd go to a shackle flip. DIY-style preferably.

I personally wouldn't $pend the ca$h it would cost to bed-line that much of the body. To each their own, some have done it and love it. To me, on a wheelin rig it'd be sort of like having a $pendy paint job... if I screwed it up while wheeling (or a fender bender) I'd be pissed. It'd be a lot cheaper/easier to just rattle can paint that bad boy, wax the hell of out it and call it good.

j

3. wildbilzrydn

wildbilzrydn 1/2 ton status

You should getcha some 4:56's or 5:13's for the bad boy, especially if your going to get bigger tires. Did your list include lockers? How bout a 454?

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Too easy!

5. SUPER'BURB

I have blocks and was thinking of doing the "flip"

I have a 2" body lift.

Why would you go 4" instead of 6"?

As far as the spray liner... I was thinking to do it on the roof cause if I put a roof rack on I can never get it clean. The sides were a thought cause I had it on a Cherokee and loved it. When I scratched it I just got a small amount and patched the spot and it was close enough to look good.

6. SUPER'BURB

I was thinking 4:56's and ARB's but I'm up for recomendations.

The tires I will run until they are shot are P.J. Dirt Grips 36"x14.5".
    I love the way they work now but I was thinking of steping up to
    38"x15.5". Not sure but I have like 30,000 miles to figure it out.

Also was thinking of an injected big block just haven't gotten that far yet.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Since it was your DD , I assume its real reliable , keep it that way and don't touch the motor until its real old . Maybe just add a good air filter and decent exhaust .

Add some lower gears for the tires . But since its a Burb and heavy , you may get the right gears in the 8 lug axles you should swap in ( I like 1/2 tons , but not in heavy a$$ Burbs ) .

You can run 6 inch on a Burb , the wheelbase is longer , so it won't be too top heavy .

Cut the rockers out and add some square tube , trim the fenders if tires need room .

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sounds like a plan...

Nothing wrong with a 2" body lift. Having extra space between the body/frame comes in reeeeal handy sometimes. If you ever go clocked-doubler or have a driveline brake, you'll be glad you have those 2".

Two reasons, 1) you already have 4" up front, so if you added a shackle flip in the back you wouldn't need to buy any new springs at all... save you a lot of $. Your drivelines (I assume!) are already the right length for a 4" lift too... one less thing to $pend ca$h on. 2) Unless mud pits are the only type of wheelin you do, you don't need any more lift than you have now. Between the body/suspension lift you have 6". Thats an inch more than I have, and I run 39.5 TSLs. I'm going to run 42s at some point... with the same 5" of lift. Lower center of gravity is a very good thing to have. Big-tall-n-tippy isn't nearly as good as the crouching tiger stance. :thumb: :grin:

Its your ca$h, go for it if you really like it. I think there are some awesome applications where bedliner is perfect... in some other places its just gonna get beat up if you really wheel your rig hard.

j