Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for Parts

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by bmbwy, Feb 25, 2002.

1. bmbwy

bmbwy Newbie

About a month ago I had a little run in with a semi while driving my 1964 Chevy Suburban. I am looking for some parts (such as a spring and a gear box and a few body parts). Can anyone help me find these parts. The local mechanic is looking but ... Well, let's just say that they aren't easy to find. The gear box needs some kind of arm or something on it.

Thanks,

bmbwy

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

What state are you in?

next up, what kind of gear box is it? 3 speed, or 4 speed? if its the 4 speed, with the granny low, then its the SM420. its a great tranny, but parts for it are kinda hard to find, as you're learning. I live in AZ, and I can prolly find one around here somewhere... only problem is its about a 300 Lbs piece, so it'll cost a pantload to ship, on top of whatever the junkers want for one. you might look into upgrading to a newer SM465, which can be found on vehicles made between 1973 and 1985(?) perhaps later then that even. its another heavy duty 4 speed granny low transmission, and there's parts for them everywhere. I don't know if it'll bolt up to your bell housing tho, which isn't too much a problem except the early models had a mechanical linkage which will make them basicaly useless for your 64, unless you want to do a whole mess of fabricating work. the later models made in the mid 80's had a hydraulic clutch setup, that strapped to the bell housing, so you could use one of those.

at any rate, good luck with it, and I'll talk to you later,
    -Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>Its a Wheelbase Thing... You Wouldn't Understand</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>CK5 SUB-culture</font color=red>

3. bmbwy

bmbwy Newbie

I'm in Wyoming.

It's a 4-speed W/ the granny gear and 4-wheel drive

I don't reall want to upgrade because that old trany would climb trees and I never know what I might get myself into.

Please call Ed's Automotive Repair in Buffalo, Wyoming
    Ph: 1-800-888-5549
    FAX: (307) 684-5540
    and ask to talk to Dr. Tom (their chief mechanic) and tell him you are calling about parts for Brent Braten's 1964 Chevy Suburban.

I am willing to pay shiping because this is my baby and I am not going to let it go down without a fight.

Thanks,

Brent

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

see what I can do for you,

if its a 4wd, then you can;t realy replace the transmission with a different one, without replacing the Transfercase.... Southwest tranny or some shop like that, had a whole pallet of SM420's they could get thier hands on... they want 1000 bucks each for them, although they are brand new. only problem, is the top cover would need to be swapped out. they had a linkage for use on forklifts, and tractors, so they won't work with your stock shifter setup.

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>Its a Wheelbase Thing... You Wouldn't Understand</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>CK5 SUB-culture</font color=red>

5. bmbwy

bmbwy Newbie

Thanks. I appreciate that more than you knw.

Brent

6. bmbwy

bmbwy Newbie

Please call Tom at the 800 number I gave you earlier.

I was wrong. We don't need a transmission. We need a gear box. Tom will be able to give you a better understanding of what we need