Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

looking for pics of custom a dash

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Sep 8, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i know there has been threads on this before, but i did about 10 searches and couldnt come up with poop. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif anyway, if anyone has pics of a custom dash they did for their rig (doesnt matter what kind, just looking for ideas) I'd like to take a peek. Links to other threads with this kinda info would be great too... sometimes I cant seach for ****. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Im not gonna do this to my k5... Im thinking of doing it when the s-10 body goes on... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

There is an article on 73-87.com that looks pretty good but I have to admit I haven't read it.

Here is a pic of the finished product from the above link ;

[​IMG]

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

jc whitney sells the entire dash upgrade kit to white guages... its about 90.00... you might want to look at their catalog...
    cam

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I like Shaggy's dash. Still close enough to original, yet looks really nice with the aftermarket gauges in there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Hope you don't mind me using your truck as an example Shaggy. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Someone has a very similar setup, but the gauges are angled up towards the driver more...I just can't think of the username /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. jekbrown

wow! thanks for the link marv! that guys aluminum was a little bling bling lookin in the photos, but thats pretty much what I am looking at doing. I really like the center part of his dash how it sticks out... very cool. Such a "hump" combined with some firewall mods may help me get some clearance for my dist etc which is always sposed to be kinda tight on s-10 hybrid rigs.

anyway, thanks every1 for the pics/info. any1 else? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, I didn't post it myself because lately I'm just not very happy with the angle on the gauges. I did it about 4 or 5 years ago and had never seen another stock dash that had aftermarket gauges, so I had noone to bounce ideas off of. I have a plan to get the gauges angled up a bit more, but haven't really felt like digging into it again. The nice thing about the way I did it is that you can unplug one wiring harness and the two mechanical gauges, and the whole thing just pulls right out, just like stock. </font>

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

You could copy mine but you'd need a 46 to 62 Willy's dash,LOL

I'm filling in oth glove boxes and the center openingis wherethe tch is goig with my smaller ones to the sides (volts, water, oil and fuel)
    and where the stock little ones were I'm doing my toggle switches(pump, lights, kill switch)

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I remember now...it's Sparky87k5's dash that's like yours Shaggy, but the gauges are angled up nicely.

Jekbrown...if you like that custom aluminum dash look, search for the username Tweetysuarus.

10. jekbrown

ding ding ding!! we have a winner!! wow, that is one cool dash! super-simple, lightweight and it looks good n functional. I like tweetys dash a lot! maybe combine that dash with the one that had the cool center "hump" in it and I'd be set. thanks much heavy4x4, i appreciate it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif any1 else? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

11. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

here is mine. They are sunken in from the front side.

[​IMG]

12. jekbrown

them are some sexy guages. Im not sure what brand I am gonna go with yet... I am sorta leaning towards Nordskog's (sp?).. myabe even in digital. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

j

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Nordskog makes some nice gauges, but they sure aren't cheap! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif </font>

14. jekbrown

yeah, ur right, they are pretty damn spendy. the cool stuff with wizzbang features usually are I guess. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I dunno, maybe I'll go with the autometer ulralight carbon fiber ones instead. they're good n cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I just got the Pro-Comps, not the cheapest but not the most expensive either... I figure if they're good enough for pro's then they'er good enough for my sorry ass. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I would recommend getting liquid filled on any that it's available on, the vibration of off-road use is hard on the non liquid ones. Only mechanical gauges come in liquid filled though, so if you want electric you're out of luck. I got mechanical water temp and oil pressure gauges specifically so I could get the liquid filled ones.</font>

16. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, I kind of like the stock dash. Unless you're going to go all-out and build a new inset all the way down to th shift indicator I have never seen one that looks good.

However, I didn't like not having a tach. So I took the tach out of another car and butchered my cluster.

There are only two other gauges I really want. Those are a vacuum gauge and a transmission/engine oil temperature gauge. The temperature gauge would toggle between the two. I plan on mounting them in my ashtray. I'd like to have a pyrometer for the ultimate in gauges but it isn't necessary and involves more work.

Here is a picture of my dash (notice the different needles on the fuel gauge and tach... and the lack of cutouts for the seatbelt and parking brake idiot lights...):
    http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/tach/finishedproduct.JPG

17. jekbrown

yeah, Im not a guage whore or anything, but I would like a tach, tranny fluid temp and a few other things not on my stock setup... and I dont really like just tacking these kinds of things on, rather have them be integrated into the final design. I do plan on doing a complete setup in the s-10 body, custom dash, custom floor shifter mounting area (sorta like watsons rig i guess), custom seat/secure console/lockable storage mounting, air intake routing and all that jazz. I really like the desert racer tube + aluminum look...maybe Im the only one... but thats ok, its my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Im sure it'll take me quite a while to get my s-10 cab ready to put on my k5 frame.. i dont know jack about vehicles electrical system or guages either... but thats ok, there was a time when i didnt know anything about steering systems, hydro boost, brakes, suspension, axles, tcases etc etc etc. Be a good learning experience for me, and if I take enough pics and make enuff notes maybe other peeps can learn from it too. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, I kind of like the stock dash. Unless you're going to go all-out and build a new inset all the way down to th shift indicator I have never seen one that looks good.

However, I didn't like not having a tach. So I took the tach out of another car and butchered my cluster.

There are only two other gauges I really want. Those are a vacuum gauge and a transmission/engine oil temperature gauge. The temperature gauge would toggle between the two. I plan on mounting them in my ashtray. I'd like to have a pyrometer for the ultimate in gauges but it isn't necessary and involves more work.

Here is a picture of my dash (notice the different needles on the fuel gauge and tach... and the lack of cutouts for the seatbelt and parking brake idiot lights...):
    http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/tach/finishedproduct.JPG

[/ QUOTE ]

The ultimate in gauges for a gas engine would be a stochiometer, IMHO. I'm going to put one in eventually along with a vaccuum gauge, just haven't wanted to spend the money. Between the two it would be an excellent tuning tool.

19. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, that same problem exists with a stochiometer. It involves putting in a sensor in the exhaust. And you'll have to run a heated wideband sensor in order to get an accurate reading on a header exhaust.

I'd probably take a stochiometer over a pyrometer but you can make a pyrometer for cheap or buy one for pretty cheap. Plus, it'll tell you where you're running by temperature. I'm working on a redneck fuel injection system right now and it already involves a wideband heated oxygen sensor so I guess it wouldn't be too hard to run a stochiometer off it at the same time but once I've got fool-injection I won't need it anymore since I'll have a laptop for diagnostics. hmm...

Damnit Evan, you always make me think about things I'd already decided. haha.