Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for plans or ideas for workbench!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyfumes, Apr 17, 2003.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Feb 24, 2000
    Well the subject line says it all, I wanna get started on a bench for the new shop, it should be about 16' long, so any ideas and/or suggestions are welcome. Like material and building plans, or any other trick ideas you guy's have come up with.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
  2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Dec 15, 2000
    <font color="green"> My neighbor made a cool one, he took a bunch of 2x6s and drilled holes through them, then used threaded rod to bolt them all together standing up, so the benchtop was 6" thick. He then took it to a mill and had them plane one side so it was nice and smooth, then oiled the smooth surface. It was real nice and pretty much indestructible. </font>
  3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Feb 24, 2001
    I did about the same thing years ago (without the mill/plane work) but I used 2x4 discards from a local lumber yard near where I worked. These things are used as spacers in stacks and also include junk discards (split, huge knots, etc) that would not sell from bundles. They gave them to me for free letting me just grab them from the pile. Cut to length with one good side out, wood glue generously applied between each and screw/nail together to build a butcher block type top. Legs from landscaping tembers or 4x4s gusseted with scrap 2x4s. On my old bench I could throw engine blocks and axles up on it without it even creaking...

My current bench is much less impressive. Just a 2x4 frame with 1" plywood top (rough as can be from previous owner) that was in the shop when I bought the house. All I did was throw a solid wood door on top (from the dumpster containing old stuff out of our remodeled house when we bought it).