Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for some cheap tiers....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, Feb 27, 2003.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

K5 needs some new tiers. It is all stock. I was thinking of getting 33" BFG at costco, but they said they can't put on my truck. So does anyone know where to get some decent tiers for around 100 bucks? I was thinking of 35s, but that doesn't sound like a good idea with 6.2 400/208 combo and what I believe to be 3.08 gears in my M1009. Thanks Mike

2. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Why won't they put them on your truck? Will they not honor the warranty if they put them on the stock 8" wheels? That's what I'm running. I've got the same gears with a 700r4. You really don't want 35's on 308's. It really feels weak. I got my Yokahama Tires for around 80 each a few years ago, but that's because I knew the guy who owned the tire shop. I was thinking about the WalMart mud tires (about 110 each) but I just tore the heck out of the sidewall on my smaller WalMart mud tires on my other truck on a half buried piece of guard rail. Don't know if I should blame the tires or not.

3. 84CUCV

Nothing about the wheel. I was something about what the computer said they could put on. K5s have 31s on them so the computer said 33 is to big, Can't do it so they don't get sued it something happens or some crap like that......Who knows Mike

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah I would expect that at most cheap tire shops, well the computer says you can't fit those... Why would they sell 33s or 35s at costco if they can't mount them? No trucks come with those sizes stock.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Check out tirerack.com
    They have a bunch of tires for under 100 for the 33" size.
    I personnally went with the Kumho and I love them.

6. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Got the same can't put them on cause the computer say they won't fit line once when trying to buy 35 Mudkings for road tires.Really enjoyed the look on salesmans face when he finally saw my truck with 38 swampers already on it.Next time He'll look at truck before blowing cash sale. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Just got 33's on my 7" rims, they fit perfectly... lowered the tire pressure to 30PSI.

Truck definitely turned into a dog( 3.42 gears) but they look great.
    Are they that much cheaper at Costco? Go somewhere else if not.
    Someone once told me not to settle for a set of tires, get the ones you want or you will be disappointed, thats why I went with the 33X12.5's... I was going to sttel on 10.5's or 32X 11.5's but said screw it. I can't be happpier the truck looks great.... Time to go find some mud!

8. 84CUCV

33 there are 153 for mt and 137 for at. Pull in they do everything. I wanted to go with 35s, but with 3.08 I was told I would really need to regear. Thanks for the help guys Mike

9. 84CUCV

How are the dunlop mud rovers? How is the wear and are they quiet? Are they tuff? Mike

10. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have had the Mud Rovers before. They are a good tire. Wear good on pavement w/ good manners.
    In the back of 4wheeler you can order 33" Mud Terrain Recaps for about 45 bucks each. They have the same tread as a mud rover. I have never been around them, but they did a test of them in one of the mags a while back and they tested good.

11. 84CUCV

Kickass thanks!! 45 can't beat that Mike

12. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

So you mention recap but a quick google on 'recap tires' doesnt turn up much. Neither does a search of the ck5 forums. I would guess that this is something like a big rig retread only in a tire size that we can use? What kinda warranty would a tire like this carry and more importantly, is it safe?

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ben

13. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

14. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Hey, don't know if you're interested but I need to sell a set of 4 BFG AT's mounted on stock rally wheels, and I'm located in Dutchess County New York. The tires have maybe 40% tread left.
    I'll sell 'em to you fairly cheap.
    smack

15. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Sorry, they'er 31 x 10.5 x 15.
    smack

16. 84CUCV

Thanks for the offer, but I am looking for at lease 33. Mike

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have been running a set of Walmart tires. They were pretty cheap 115 bones plus 9 bucks a wheel to mount and balance. They had no problem with putting them on my Blazer You get free flat repair and lifetime balance. This is the second year I have had them on. They are holding up pretty good. I Use them hard offroad they hook up real well. They aren't too noisy on the highway either. The manager told me they were made for wally world by Goodyear
    More info:wallmart tires

18. 84CUCV

thanks thunder I will be checking them out soon. Mike