Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for some help with axle choice and build

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K30Blazer, Feb 12, 2007.

1. K30Blazer

K30Blazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have an 87 with 1/2 ton axles. They have been good to me, but last weekend I broke the passenger side stub shaft up front. I have been in the market for a long time for a D60 / 14bff combo but the cost of new rims, and the axles, lockers and all has held me back.

At this point, I have a friend with a 95 14bsf who wants it off his hands. I am going to take him up on this kind offer. I have also found a D44 complete for $200.

Here is my question. What can I get away with on cost? Let me know if I am being realistic or missing anything.

I am assuming both axles are in decent condition. I have seen one and the other is 95 so I wouldn't be thinking I would need rebuild kits.

- locker for the 14b ($500)
    - posi for the D44 ($250)
    - 8 lug conversion for D44 ($200)
    - 8 lug rims ($250)
    - 4.56 gears for 14b ($50)

Keep in mind this is all ebay price shopping so things could change. I am looking at this thinking I can get a D44 and 14bsf under my truck for less than $1500.

Am I missing anything? Is there anything else I should be looking at? Is there anywhere I can save anymore money? The locker is tough to get around cost wise, and I would love to build up the D44 but until I break something it is probably fine.

Thanks

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Does the D44 have the correct gears in it you need? If not then don't buy it unless you are wanting if for possible flattop knuckles. A 10 bolt = D44 in strength. A 10 bolt is easier to get cheap parts for. Instead of swapping everything to 8 lug why don't you swap the 14bsf to 6 lug?

Buying a set of 6 lug Chromo axles for the 14bsf is probably cheaper then new rims and 8 lug conversion parts.

You will be better off with a lockright locker for the front then a posi.

Harley

3. K30Blazer

The D44 does have the right gears, 4.56 and I have been told that the D44 is plenty strong. I was also under the assumption that converting the 14bsf to 6 lug was more trouble and $$$ than it was worth, at least according to my lat thread I posted. Now I am really confused.

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Get a couple of sets of axles for your current setup. Keep saving money for the 1 ton stuff. After you are tired of replacing the axles a few times, you will have enough to buy the 1 tons.

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Couple questions for ya. One why a 14b sf. Just cant find a full float? A full float locker will cut 100 to 200 bucks off the price of the locker.

Second why change your front axle. The 10b you currently have and a 44 are so close in strength theres really no point in swapping them.

Third your front axle broke, without changing the front axle its still going to break. If one tons are your eventual goal, then get a 14b full floater right now, then it will be built and you won't have to swap your sf for a ff when you go to one tons.

Also if you want your front axle to live a long happy life leave it open

6. K30Blazer

so, the dana 44 and the 10 bolt are comparable in strength huh? And the 14bsf locker costs more than the 14bff locker? This is all great information. I am really holding out for at D60 they are just really coming hard to find.

Th 14bsf is free from a friend of mine, that is where it is coming from.

Anyone got a D60 14bff combo they are looking to get rid of?!?!?

7. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

take 25 bucks and become a member...theres tons of d60s in here in the 4 sale section in cali...its worth every penny...

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yup, a 44 for 10blt swap is pretty useless, unless the 44 is 8 lug and your just looking to go 3/4 ton with a matching 14ff 8lug out back...

Maybe I missed it but, what size tires are you running? Thats a super critical factor....

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It is fine to swap the D44 in if it has the gear ratio you need in it. If you are swapping because you think it is stronger then it is a waste of time because the D44 is no stronger then a 10 bolt.

If your plan is to go to a 14bff later then I would probably just do it now. You can find 14bff with 4.56 gears & detroit lockers for sale for a fair price usually if you look around. They came in military 1 tons. That would kill your locker and gear issue with 1 stone. You would just need to swap 8 lug parts on the D44 & get new rims.

Harley

10. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, what Harley said. You should be able to find a 14bFF out of a CUCV with 4.56 & Detroit for about $500. That's what they seem to run around here anyways. The only additional issue would be relocated spring perches. I think the rest has been covered.

11. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

Agreed on the 14ff if your goal is one tons, but have you seen the 14sf your buddy has? In the 90's, these axles came in both 6 & 8 lug. Something to check on.

Joe