Looking for some idea help...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mindbullets, Apr 28, 2004.

1. mindbullets

mindbullets Newbie

Apr 28, 2004
    Hey folks, 1st time posting here. First off, I need to say the information I've found here is top notch.
    That being said, let me present my idea of what I want to accomplish:

I'm looking to build a daily driver that is dedicated to backwoods use, occassional mud holes and possibly some rocks once in a great while.

My idea forms around a Chevy Sub and a Crew cab 4x4. I want tons of cargo space, room to haul friends and family, but offroad capability. Oh, and 4 doors /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Is it unreasonable to make a bobbed Sub or Crew Cab? Get rid of a little rear end weight... /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

On the sub, will structural integrity be a huge issue? If so, I'll go the Crew Cab route. I'll most likely be going Dana 60 upfront, and a Corp 14 rear.

Any thoughts or helpful info would be much appreciated.
    Oh, btw; I'll be incorporating a full roll cage as well.
    Thnx all in advance.

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Mar 23, 2003
    Welcome /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

A 4x4 crew cab will have the right axles already installed, and will probably be less work overall.

This coming from a guy that loves his Suburban....
  3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Jul 22, 2001
    Both are great starting points. The Sub will need axles right of the bat, I get away with 12 bolt(blazer, highway gears, locked), my buddy in a heavy Sub bends 1/2 ton housings. His sub goes anywhere I can just drags butt a bit.He went 14bff, so should you, they're heavy . The crewcab will be just way too long and needs a bob , IF you have capability do it , but yes the drivetrain is perfect from get go with crew cab. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif