Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for some second opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cdk5, Nov 15, 2006.

1. cdk5

cdk5 Registered Member

I am thinking about running 4" Tuff Country HD front leafs and ORD 4" Shackle Flip on the rear of my 91 daily driver. Does anybody have a similiar set up? Also thinking about ORD Swaybar Correction/Disconnect Kit. Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Thats a fairly standard setup. Most use the EZRide springs for flex but I have heard the may sag over time. Depends on what your trying to do to your rig. The disconnects are nice for off road use.
    If you do a "search" on springs, you'll find a ton of info.

Click on my link to see some of the basic mods I did to my daily driver.

BTW, Welcome to CK5 :D

3. scooter122983

scooter122983 1/2 ton status

I would think about removing the sway bar and trying it without it. The HD springs are so stiff that your ride would be uncomfortable as a daily driver. But that is just my experience.

4. cdk5

cdk5 Registered Member

Thanks Scooter. Yea I was worried about the stiffness of HD springs but I also but I dont want the front to sag. I just cant decide the best route.

5. cdk5

cdk5 Registered Member

Thanks 88Silverado. Thanks for the link. I like what you have done with your ride. You have got pretty much the same setup I am going for. Do you have any problems towing with the shackle flip? I tow regularly with mine, the bigggest thing being a supra ski boat. I was wondering about towing capacity with the different rear set up.

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

With HD springs I would definitely ditch the sway bar. Heck I would with EZ ride springs.

Other than that, sounds good for a basic setup.

7. cdk5

cdk5 Registered Member

Thanks Scott. Im just not so sure about completely eliminating the sway bar since it is my daily driver. In your opinion, do you think I would be as well off with EZ rides, keep the sway bar, but also getting the ORD sway bar disconnects?

8. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yes ditch the sway bar. that will be my first mod when I get my new truck. I have noticed no difference, even with stock springs, without mine. plus you can use the cash you save on some other mods.

9. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Im running almost that same setup. I've got ez ride instead of HD. They ride great and flex real good. I also had the swaybar disconnect but drove the truck on the street one day without it connected and barely noticed a difference, so i sold the dissconnects to a friend. and threw out the sway bar. here's a link to see some pics of this setup in action http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2186902 check out pages 3,4, and 7, for the action pics.

10. mrk5

Personally I would only run the HD if you have a winch or a diesel because of the added weight.

As evidenced by muddermilitia, everyone I know that had the disconnect ended up just leaving it disconnected. Especially since it can be a pain to reconnect.

I have old Superlift Superrides in the front with no sway bar. I notice the difference driving in the mountains transitioning from a turn one direction back to the other direction. Nothing dangerous or excessive, just noticeable.

11. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run that set up but with EZride, no swaybar and cross over with a panhard. Works for me! I think you'll find the HD springs too firm unless like MrK5 says, you've got a lot of weight up front. But some people like a rigid ride!

12. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Not to hijack or anythign, but are the HD springs really that different? I have a 9000 lb Warn. You think that would cause the front to sag? What about with zero rates up front?

cS

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I currently run the HD TCs. Keep in mind the only difference between the EZ and HDs is that the HD has an extra leaf.........it's the same price and everything, and if think it's too hard just remove the bottom leaf.

In any case, I previously had Skyjacker softrides and then replaced then with the HD TC's, and I personally would say the TC's ride softer than the Skyjackers did.

If you want to drive it on the street a lot then the swaybar disconnect is the way to go. The disconnect system takes a lot of the harshness away from the system that it normally has with lifted springs and the stock swaybar setup. As far as driving characteristics I like using the example of pulling a trailer with no brakes..........sure, you can get by with it if you can plan ahead and drive accordingly (like apply the brakes a lot sooner when coming up to a light), but what happens if somebody pulls out in front of you?

14. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Heres a link with spring rates. It shows the difference between the EZ and HD's
    http://coloradok5.com/springratetable.shtml

I noticed a little difference in towing with the flip. Basically its a little softer. I dont tow anything heavy, just my 10" enclosed trailer with my Heritage.

I towed once without the swaybar connected. After about 40 miles I pulled over and connected it. Felt much better. I normally keep by sway bar connected when running around town (DD) but it does ride softer when its disconnected. I would go with the disconnects and keep the swaybar. If you find you decide you dont need the bar, trash it and sell the disconnects.

15. DesertDueler2

DesertDueler2 1/2 ton status

I would go with the HD if you tow. EZ rides if not. One thing with ez rides is that you get alot of bumpsteer. Not much fun for towing. I had stiff ranchos on my old burb for towing, didnt like the ride when not towing so I went to TC ez rides. Made towing much more fun. I eliminated most of it though by running the quad shocks again up front with the stiffest shock(Rancho RS 5000). That also eliminated most of the bumpsteer.

16. cdk5

cdk5 Registered Member

First, thanks to everyone for replying. Your information is very helpful. As for towing, I tow a fairly heavy inboard ski boat a lot during the summer. Blazers make great tow vehicles in my opinion. As for the ride... I am currently running re-arched factory springs front and rear with an extra leaf added in all four. The ride quality is pretty stiff now. I am looking for a better ride but do not want to sacrifice the towing quality a lot either. I am looking for the happy medium. But just cant decide what it is....

17. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I could be wrong here, but I'm sure I've read that towing with a shackle flip is not so good. Maybe phone ORD and ask their opinion. Visualizing it I can imagine the shackles compressing a lot towing.
    Anyone know of this?

18. cdk5

cdk5 Registered Member

Yea thats what I was thinking southernspeed. I can call ORD but I thought I would see what this turned up first. They can tell you on the phone that it will work but the people who actually use it everyday will be more helpful I think... The towing factor is the only thing holding me back from doing it... I also wanna inboard the rear shocks...

19. mrk5

There's a whole can of worms. :rolleyes:

Have fun reading: Huge thread on shackle flip and towing

20. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a 4inch lift and the discos as well. I havent had them connected for almost a year now. on road I have noticed only a slight increase in roll, certainly nothing to be concerned over. If I could do it again I would've ditched the sway bar entirely and used that money toward a x-over steering setup.