Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

looking for spring recommedations...newbie question

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by k5-newbie, Jul 7, 2004.

1. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

Jun 19, 2004
    I have done extensive reading on this site since becoming a member and I still have a question about springs. I would like to run 4" of lift and maybe a 36 or 37" tire. I am extremely new to this sport (only had the blazer for about a month now), and I would like some flexy springs and am not sure if I need to order a custom spring or if a mass produced spring is the way to go. I have read good things about the tuff country EZ rides, but have also heard mention of Alcan and National.

Stephen, you seem to be the local authority around these parts /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif and I know this is kinda vague, but I would like to hear what you suggest. The K5 is completely bone stock at the moment and I have plans to change the axles to 1 tons soon but would like to get the lift knocked out first.

Thanks for the help in advance

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Sep 15, 2000
    It really comes down to how much you want to spend and if you're willing to do much custom work yourself. One extreme is a TCI front spring with a flip or 4" spring in the rear with all the goodies for around $1200, depending of course on your definition of "all the goodies".

The other extreme is a spring set we just set up for a guy building a pre-runner type K5 with stretched front and rear springs at around $1300 for the springs alone.

We're also talking 2 different extremes of performance, the TCI's work well but the the extended custom spring setup runs 12-14" of travel in the front and roughly 18" in the rear. With good shocks and the custom springs, you can cover rough country comfortably at ridiculous speeds.

A good compromise might be to put a late model 64" GM rear spring in the back and do a custom spring in the stock locations in the front. This would help keep cost down while still giving you great ride quality and flexability.

It really comes down to what you want vs. how much time and money you want to spend.

I know this is not a clear answer but it shows the range of performance vs. cost.

Keep in mind that there are lots of other details that you'll spend money on, like shackles, bushings, box brace, steering, shocks, brakelines, driveshafts, etc, etc. I often recommend getting the truck built with a basic set of springs and getting the details bought and running, then replace the springs with a custom spring down the road. The suspension is only part of the overall package, stuff like the drivetrain, body armor, wheels and tires, winch and recovery gear, etc all add up and are necessary more than a super flexy suspension in overall performance.