Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

looking for suggestions on speakers

Discussion in 'Audio' started by gjk5, Jan 31, 2005.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I currently have the cracker engineering style speakers (home bookshelf speakers wired in and bungeed down in back) I am thinking about one of the following solutions:

Cheapie wally world speakers ( I think they are "Lightning Audio") 220W 6x9's and enclosures for the back for around $60

Decent marine speakers and enclosures for the back.

My reasoning behind this is I usually have the soft top down most of the summer and don't want to spend big $$$ for speakers that will get wet anyway so either cheap or "water resistant" seem to be the way to go.

Oh, this is in a '72 K5.

Also, anyone ever put small (like 4") speakers in the door panels? and will this do anything with the top down? (i.e.: will I hear them)

Thanks

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My buddy's cabin crusier (boat) has Clarion speakers that sound really good. You might want too surf the net for boat web sites too see what speakers are available.

3. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Out side of Rain, you could make the box hard to remove them from a honda that the window can be broke.

A Slot loaded ban-pass box bolted to the floor with the amp in the side, if you have rear Sides, with the box bolted to the floor.

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I have checked on marine, about $100 for 6x9's (clarion or similar), about the same as a pretty decent pair of regular speakers. I am just thinking for an acoustical nightmare like a lined tub, convertible, 33 year old creaky K5 with cherry bombs it may be a waste for upper-end speakers. I just see this crappy "Lightning Audio" wally world ones and think what the hell, pretty much diposable.

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Not sure what the honda part means, but I don't think I'll get much bass with the setup I mentioned (old ass truck with no sound deadener and a soft top)

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Check Ebay. They have lots of waterproof marine speakers for cheap. Got a set of 6x9s for my boat. For $47 including shipping last year.

7. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Hey, thanks for the heads-up. i looked on ebay and there were a bunch of marine speakers cheap. I did notice that most had lower wattage ratings than your standard speakers though.

Don't know what some of the technical stuff means though anyone wanna fill me in:

Key Features350 Watts Peak Power Handling50 oz. Magnet4 Ohm Impedance60Hz - 20kHz Frequency Response92 dB SPL (1 watt/1 meter)Poly Injection Cone Material1" Aluminum Voice Coil1" Mylar Dome TweeterPlastic Grilles

9. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

10. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You don't neccessarily have to have all out marine speakers if they're just gonna get wet, just make sure you buy something that doesn't have a cone made of paper. Most marine speakers are made for highly corrosive saltwater environments. Aluminum cones and rubber surrounds usually work well for what you're talking about. If you must go cheap and use paper cones, mix white elmer's glue with water (no, I'm not kidding) and apply a thin coating to your speaker cone. This will essentially seal the paper and prevent it from sucking up water if they get splashed. And if you're gonna spend time cutting holes in the door for speakers, put 6.5"'s in there. You'll never get a decent sound from a 4" speaker, I've had some of the best, and they all suck.