Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking for 'the" Experts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tomk, Mar 8, 2000.

1. tomk

tomk Registered Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Looking for \'the\" Experts

Thanks ShaggyK5 and CrashK5 for the quick response to my previous post! You have now narrowed my search for a Blazer/ Jimmy to a 1991.
    Now, I am a Jeep owner, don't shoot me yet!
    I rebuild the 80 Jeep CJ7 from the ground up five years ago and my wife recently gave the o.k. for 4X4 no.2. So what could be better than a jeep? A Chevy or GMC of course.
    I am looking for a 1991 Blazer or Jimmy. I would like to hear of "things" I should look for while I search. Pros/Cons between the Blazer and Jimmy.
    Any known problems.
    Any opinions.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Feb 17, 2000

Pretty much all K5's are great, from 69-91. I'm sure everyone will agree with me on that. It all really depends on what type of vehicle you are looking for(off-road, street, etc.) I think 87 and newer or 88 and newer you get fuel injected. Very good, you don't have to worry about it boggin out on you on at a stop light or nothing. 81-91 GM changed the rear axle from the corp. 12 bolt to the corp. 10 bolt. If you are planning to run large tires(33" or bigger,) I recommend you swap the weak 10bolt. For starters, you should look at the specification section here on this board. That should help you a lot. The main thing you should check for is Rust, on any year, especially the full convertible years. Check for rust everywhere. Overall, the K5's are the best trucks out there.