Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

looking for tool- not sure the name, screw jack, tall jackstands?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by monster man, Nov 7, 2005.

1. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

can anybody point me in the right direction of a very tall screw-type jack stand that has a large range, say, from two feet to four feet?

I need about 6 of them to help me get the car body off the frame for my trar project. I think four fett should suffice.

Since it has to be done in my garage I need something that will fit those confines- no large a-arm hoists, unless I build one inside. I think the jacks would work well

I seem to recall seeing something like that at a transmission or muffler shop?

:confused:

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Make em. I have never seen a screw jack that short, usually 6'. I got a pair of regular jackstands at Harbor Freight for 69.00 that will go 34" high.

3. seattle73k5

seattle73k5 1/2 ton status

Make a set I made mine with 2x2 stainless steel with 4 legs at the bottom and a u shaped top that the frame rests on I will post some pics later today if I can figure out how to.....anyway they work great used them to support the rig while I swapped my axles out and I have over a HUGE lift and my stands are 38" tall with no problems on stability.

think about it if you have scrape metal around be creative but SAFE.

4. monster man

I think you're right, I'll probably end up making them, probably just build bases for the widest range screwjacks I can find. I need to start down around 18", then get it to about 48", so need about a 30" travel, unless I keep building up the base as I go

This is what I was picturing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ECOA...50073QQitemZ4586698444QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

but obviously I don't want to ship and need about 6 of them :eek1:

5. monster man

some other options I was picturing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    with that one I could run bars across and lift both sides at the same time with a helper

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

If you need 30" of travel and it has to be 18" at min height then you're going to have to have some sort of double thread. Like one threaded inside the other or something.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i used a 4x4 across my cab, then jacked up on it using a couple assorted lengths of 4x4s to jack the center up. used my 6 ton jackstands (28" max height), and gradually added patio blocks and cinder blocks to gain the height i needed. ended up with the bottom of the 4x4s at 38" to clear my fully assembled K10 frame so that i could put the frame under the cab (the truck started life as a stock C10). might be a cheaper easier alternative for you providing the body is solid enough to support itself at the rocker panels.

8. jolane

jolane 1/2 ton status

I am finishing up my set of jack stands this week. I has to make mine also. I started with the $80 12T Harbor Freight ones, but realized when I got home that they only go up to 28", not 30" as advertised. They were truly chinese crap as well! I looked around and found more chinese crap at Napa for $200 a set, and still too short.
    My 6T stands only go up to ~24". I wanted shome that was ~36" tall or so, and sturdy. I hate stands that rock and have a lot of play in them, especially with a heavy load on them.
    My stands are 14" sq. at the bases, have real feet so they don't cut into concrete and make marks, have a 7/8" hitch pin, are rated at 12T, and are simply awesome. I am really happy with them in looks, performance, etc. I have not painted them yet though, but I know they will function great. They are heavy, made from 3/16" plate on the bases, with 1/4" wall 2 1/2" Sq. tubing for the adjustable vertical tube. 5 height adjustments. I would post a picture, but don't know how.
    All these words to simply agree with the "make some yourself" comments. It has taken me a lot of time to make these, but I wanted to be proud of them for the rest of my life. No shortcuts here.
    Joshua

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

too tall...

Jackstands tend to get way to "tippy" once they are over 18-24" high!.. :eek1:
    "House Jacks" are probably what you saw,they are shorter than the tranny jacks,but taller than most jackstands..

I'd use some other means of lifting the car up,like a couple of 2x12's spiked together,between the frame and body,you could jack it up by them with a floor jack,or better still,use a chain falls or come-a-long to lift it from a braced rafter in the shop from above...make sure its strong enough to handle the weight!..too bad you dont have a forklift or bucket loader!

(I've seen guys use those "tripod" jacks used to lift slide in campers up to lift a truck cab,a bit scary though--you could use an engine hoist on a car body,to lift one end at a time. :thinking: )--and use something like a stack of rims to hold the cab up on the 2x12's..if you can get rims of different sizes,you can put a 15" on the bottom,then a 14",then a 13",etc..or use a big peice of cordwood as big around as you can get,at least 12" in diameter..

I've used 55 gallon drums to support truck cabs with the 2x12's,but they are a bit too tall sometimes for some garages,the cab hits the ceiling before the drums will fit! :doah: --they are much more stable than jackstands though,and much safer....the hard part is lifting the cab high enough without it tipping off to one side,its hard using a jack(s)..a hoist from the ceiling is much easier and usually less damage to the body is done that way,if you do it correctly.. :crazy:

10. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I have a pair similar to these:

[​IMG]

Got them from a semi truck repair place when they were going out of business for like 20 bucks. Not sure where you can buy them new but they would be simple to make.

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

body lift

My vote, hang it. :D