Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking to build a Split Rail fence in my yard...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhoenixZorn, Oct 7, 2006.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

So, our Invisible Fence thing doesn't work for the husky... Period... no if's and's or but's about it, he's just untrainable to a fence he can't physically see. That being the case, Invisible Fence is cutting us a check for $1200.00, which I plan to put towards a split rail fence to go around our whole back yard... now, I know you are thinking a split rail fence won't contain the husky either, being so "open" and all, but we have already considered that.

We plan on a 3 rail, 4 foot high fence with welded wire mesh nailed to it like a cattle fence. The wire from the Invisible Fence is still in place, so we are also going to head over to Home Depot and buy a PetSafe brand invisible fence, which is only a few hundred dollars, and will be used as further deterent to the Husky to stay the hell away from the fence. Now, the welded wire is about $100.00 a roll, so right there with my 900 odd feet of lawn perimeter, I'm at $900... The PetSafe invisible fence is $300, so that's the remainder of our $1200 refund.

I have been searching for split rail fencing all fricken night... I'd like to go with cedar, because it's low maintenance, and I like the way it looks... but I don't want to spend $4000+ on just lumber for 900 feet of fence. I also don't want to buy chainlink fence, since we are in a neighborhood that doesn't have any fencing in anyone's yard, so I want to make it as unintrusive as possible. So if any of you guys work for a fencing vendor, or know where I can get split rail fencing on the cheap, I'd greatly appreciate it... spending $5000 to keep my dogs contained is not "out of the question", but if I can keep it under $3000, I'd be a happy camper.

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I can tell you that a 4' fence isn't going to even slow down a husky. My heeler/boxer mix can jump up to the top rail on my full privacy fence (5' 8" or so) no problem. If it wants to det out it'll get out. I cannot speak for the effectiveness of any of the electric fences though, I would like to hear some input too since we are getting ready to buy 5 ac. and build a house and I have two idiots to contain.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use the PetSafe underground fence and don't see why it wouldn't work alone. The collars on my Labs are turned up all the way. The tone goes off and they turn right around.

I also have a regular electric fence inside the smaller back yard area that they stay in during the day. It's inside a Privacy fence and stops them cold. You might try a 2 wire electric to train your dog on the border and give the Petsafe a try.

The thing with the petsafe is you really need to follow the training instructions that come with it and use the little flags for a month or two.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I tried a Shocking collar to keep my "Husky" from running off. Third or fourth time I used it, he just kept running, I cranked it up, he yelped, shook his head and ran until he was out of range...................:rolleyes:

5. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

In normal circumstances, I would entirely agree with you, but our husky does know the boundaries of the yard, and all we are trying to do is deter him from leaving it. Having an obstacle to negotiate before running through the electric fence should be plenty deterent for him, that obstacle being a new 4" high piece of lumber and steel. All I need him to do is hesitate when he gets to the fence long enough for him to get shocked by the electric fence, at which time, he'll turn tail and stay in the yard.

As for the whole Electric Fence thing, Huskies are hard to train on a shock to begin with. They are bordering on untrainable because of their natural instinct to just run for miles... My dogs fall into the 1.2% of dogs who are untrainable on an invisible fence, which I was told by the company itself. Personally, I think it's bull****, since if you tried to drag my husky into the fence for training, he wouldn't go anywhere near it, but if he sees a rabbit or squirrel, he is gone before I can even yell NO!! right through the fence he is deathly afraid of when he's on a leash. I think he's 100% trained to the fence, but instinct is a powerful thing.

6. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I'm not seeing the need for steel mesh if you've got the split rail fencing, but maybe I'm not thinking of the same pattern...

This is what I was thinking, but a little better built.

30538646.P6222976copy4.jpg

Thanks Fumes! :haha:

30538646.P6222976copy4.jpg

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Having had experience trying to contain dogs behind a red X, let me just say it will not work...

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

9. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

We stock it, but I dont think youd want to pay the delivery fees