Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking to buy 1985 K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rkik, Jul 20, 2004.

1. rkik

rkik Newbie

Been lurking for some time and finally got some cash and I am looking to finally buy one.

The one I am currently looking at is a 1985 with SM465 4 speed and originally had a 305. The 305 was replaced at 80,000 miles with a 350. The 350 has ~20,000 miles on it and has been it the truck for 5-6 years. Owner has had it for about ten years and he bought it off a friend who bought it from the company he works for and that company bought it new.

The following information I received from the owner:

"The interior is nice, the driver’s seat has the most wear and it has a tear. No rust that I am aware of, carpet is good; the dash has a small crack in the middle near the wind shield. The windshield has one crack. No rust on the exterior. There are no vibrations. The AC does not work and hasn’t for some time. Everything for the AC is there but likely the condenser and the compressor need to be replaced. The heater does work. The high beam indicator bulb is burned out. The gas gauge works but is not very accurate. There are no leaks that I am aware of. The 4 wheel drive works fine."

So what are some things I should look out for? What would be a reasonable offer? He is asking $3500.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any advice,
    rkik

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I wouldn't go over $2000 tops and thats pushing it. If I was gonna pay $3500 for it it had better have working A/C new tires and some nice rims even if I planed on changing them.

3. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I wouldn't go over $2000 tops and thats pushing it. If I was gonna pay $3500 for it it had better have working A/C new tires and some nice rims even if I planed on changing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

and a very good interior. I agree with Corey.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

That is too much for that truck. It is low mile but that doesn't justify 3500. Especially with no working AC and a questionable interior.

I can get no rust trucks all day long for under $3500 here in AZ. One that have alot more stuff to mention then that one does. Any combo of nice tires, lift, rims, paint, stereo, motor, axles, etc.

Look around a little and bide your time till the right deal comes along. I have seen REALLY nice K5's for for $5K that are way better trucks then that one. Don't jump on the first truck you see now that you have money or because your buddy is selling it. If it was a good deal then sure score it from your buddy, but that truck is no deal by any stretch of the imagination.

Harley

5. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

ya when people are selling one ton K5's for that I'd keep looking!! I paid about 1500 for my 85 K5 W/6.2L diesel...and in pretty good condition /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Tx feller eh...

I remember seeing that K5 when I was looking for one. I never actually went to look at it though. If you are around San Antonio send me a PM. I met a guy today at the parts store that is selling an 86 for 3500. He ran the list of stuff past me, but I don't remember everything, and I have not actually seen the K5. I remember:
    350 TBI
    8" lift W/ 39.5 boggers
    dana 60 / & either a D60 or 14B, 4:56, both locked
    .... bout all I remember anyway..

I didn' catch his name, but know where he works, if you're interested.

7. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

its not a geat price, but if you know the truck's wiring hasnt been cobbled, and its been maintained, its a fair price IMO. sure there are some things that need to be fixed, but those are the things you go there with 2500-2800 cash and see if it talks. also what is your purpose for the rig? if it is to turn into a wheeling rig, thats too much for something you are going to tear apart and replace everypart with what you really want anyway. if its going to be a DD, see how low the seller will go.

fill out your profile, welcome to CK5

8. rkik

rkik Newbie

Thanks for the input everyone. I feel like he is asking too much as well and he is not exactly local, about ~300 miles away, so in person negotiating is not that simple. I'll see if he comes down on the price or I am not even going to bother driving out to take a look at it.

txfiremank5 yeah if you could get some more info or possibly some pictures that would be great.

GMCLegacy the purpose of the K5 would be for it to be a project and a wheeling rig. My plans if I found a decent stock one would be 4" suspension lift in front, shackle flip the rear, get a 14 FF for the rear with detroit, convert the stock front to 8 lug, cut the fenders and run ~36-38" TSLs.

Thanks,
    rkik

9. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I'll call the store and see if he has some pics of it. If so I'll let you know.