Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

looking to buy a blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blzn1, Apr 9, 2002.

1. blzn1

blzn1 Registered Member

Im new to k5's and found one I like due to price its a 1975 GMC high sierra. My question is this are there years of jimmy/blazer's that I should stay away from or are there years that are better than others?

Thanks
    Rick

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Any of the 71-91 Blazers/Jimmy are good. The 69 and 70 are good to, but have drum brakes up front so they dont stop. Any of the k5s after 73 went to the 297 u-joints up front which are better then the old style.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The big thing to watch for is rust. The 69-77's have rocker boxes to add suport for the lack of roof. Even though the 79-77 had a steel roof some still had rocker boxes. VERY prone to rust problems. Most people don't care for the 305 engines in the early to mid 80's. The 10 bolt rears are also a bit of a negative but you can upgrade with bolt in parts from other tucks easy enough. 86 was a odd engine year. 87 up have fuel injection so better fuel.
    Welcome to CK5.

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

1975 sounds good. 1980 is instant hero in my opnion. You could still get a 400 small block, 350 tranny and 205 t-case bolted to a 12-bolt rear. I also like the old style body lines but with newer trim and gauges.

5. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

From 89-91 (I believe, but definitely the 90s), have a bad factory paint job. It just peels in large spots. But since the Blazers before that are 13+ years old, paint will be an issue either way.