Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking to buy a Dodge Ram, any thing to look out for?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by BlazerGuy, Jun 24, 2003.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Well, I've been looking into getting a newer truck, mainly for reliablity reasons and I don't want to drive my K5 as my daily driver anymore. I want a 4x4 but no IFS so that rules out Chevy trucks, and it's I don't like the look of the new Chevy's and Fords anyway but I do like the 94-01 Rams. I'm looking for the earlier models(94-95ish) since they'll be cheaper(I looked at a '01 and they wanted 19,300 for it!) and I want the Cummins mated to a 5-speed(NV4500 I think) since I've heard that the autos don't last long behind the diesel. So is there anything I should look out for? Hints? Tips? Concerns? Thanks... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Im not sure of the first year the NV4500 came out but make sure you dont get the Getchrag 5 spd. They have quite a few issues as well. The Getchrag was used up until the NV4500 came out.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

you got everything covered i was gonna tell you to look for, diesel, 5 spd...and to make sure it was a 12valve... which if its pre 98 it is...so good luck and lets see pics when you find one..

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

What's wrong with the Getrag? My friend has a 90 Cummins Ram 250 with it and we have romped the [naughty word] out of it with no ill effects. I learned to drive stick on it and he very rarely takes off from a stoplight without burning out so it has proven to be a very reliable tranny IMO. Not only that but he did a few mods to it to make about 450 lb/ft of torque so obviously it holds up to power prety well. Not having overdrive hurts him though, his truck beats my z71 off the line but I can pass his ass like hes standin still on the highway. I would definately recomend a pre-mid 98 so you can get teh 12 valve. 12 valve benefits; better mileage, more torque, simpler engine, black smoke. 24 valve benefits; more horse power, cleaner engine, quieter (this is excluding the later model 2000-? as they have stupid amounts of both HP and TQ, especially the new HO Cummins /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif and slightly better mileage (but still not as good as the 12 valve)). The decision is yours but I think the winning enigne is obvious.

5. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

The Getrag is not all bad. The big problems are people putting the wrong lube in them (like gear oil), or not enough oil. The Getrag requires light oil and plenty of it, then it'll last (if the damage hasn't already been done). Overfill it (5 qts. total) of 5W30 synthetic. Getrag was used '89-'93. The NV4500 started in the '94 trucks. I have a '93 Cummins Dodge with the Getrag and it's doing fine at 149K. It tows 12-13,000 lbs. of toys regularly and its' dynoed at 606 lb. ft. of torque, so don't count 'em all out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Check the wheel bearings if you get a 4X4. The front bearings are about 250 bucks a piece. Also check the track bar, they are notorious for being bad. Stay away from a 97. I don't know why but it seems like when I get something for my truck it always says 94-01 except 97. Not sure what they changed for a year but it could mean more money for repairs.

John

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

The auto trans dont last long behind the 360!!!

Sister-in-law... trans on their 3rd. DEALER installed and serviced. So, it wasnt a home job. 1/2 ton.

Wife's friend. 3/4 ton. 120k trans gone.

Friend. 3/4 ton. on 2nd trans like 70k miles or so.

Bad news.

So, as you planned, definatly get the manual.

Ken H.

8. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

hey all, I have a 02 CTD, 6spd, 4x4 2500, man does it kick ass!
    but after finding out what it takes to hot rod it,I will definately say, STAY AWAY FROM THE OBDII TRUCKS!
    If you haven't already, checkout this http://www.bullydog.com/
    Not saying that this is what you want to do, but it can give some helpful tech.
    AS for the tranny's stay away from the auto's like everyone else has already said, nothin like rollin your own!
    plus you get to 'smoke' someone.
    Fyi, the 12 vavle engine's are so easy to hotrod, get a gauge pod, block the waste gate, run straight exhaust, and you'll never look back to a gas engine again.
    Gorrilla
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't know whick 5 spd I had in my Dakota they called it an HD 5SPD /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I put 2 in it the second year I owned in....behind a 318 at that..nice truck, but that really pissed me off..Maybe I got a lemon or something

10. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Had a '94 logbed with the 318/ auto tranny.

Took good care of it, but put a tranny in at 45k, then a rear end at 51k, another tranny at 68k, and then traded it.

Also had a problem with the FI they could never figure out.

Would drive fine but after running both short or long distances, when you came to a stop (stop light or end of exit ramp), the truck would just die, then be a bastard to start.

They changed ECM, TB, injectors, and different sensors, but never got it right.

My .02 worth...

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I've got a 2wd 2002 CTD 6 speed that has been babied with 34K on it. Best truck I've ever owned, but just cant afford the payment. PM me if you want some info.

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I appreciate the offer but it looks like I won't be able to afford a new truck for a while, oh well.... [​IMG]