Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking to buy a K5 (maybe S10 Blazer). Suggestions needed...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by last of a breed, Dec 4, 2003.

1. last of a breed

last of a breed Newbie

I've been thinking of buying a Blazer as a winter car, and was wondering if you guys can give me some advice on what to look for and what not to? Also, how reliable these things are and the availability of parts for them? I was originally thinking of getting an S10, but then heard that the K5 was a great option too. So now I'm in a quandry of what to do. I'm hoping you guys can give me some pointers, thanks. Just looking for a general overview of these machines. Thanks

Kevin

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Welcome to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Get the K5. The S10 has zero cool factor. K5's are ejaculating coolness. Parts for the K5's are readily available EVERYWHERE. You can get parts from almost any 73-91 Blazer or Suburban of 73-87 pickups. The fullsize blazer is far superior ro the S10. More power, more cargo capacity, and if you wanna go winter camping you can sleep two in the back easily. You do have to remove the seat though. Just poke around this forum a bit and you'll see plenty of reasons to go fullsize. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

meh, get an s-10 body, put it on a k5 frame. presto, ownage.

j

4. lady bog

lady bog 1/2 ton status

I may not know ALOT about trucks but I do know a k5 is a sweet machine. When built correctly. Go with the k5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It really depends on what you want to do. I've got a K5, an S-10 Jimmy, and 2 Suburbans. Each is great for its intended purpose. The S-10 goes offroad WAY better than most folks think it will, you just have to learn where the frame rails hang down so you don't get hung on big rocks. It rides nice and gets good mileage (16-18 in town and 18-20 on the highway). It's also very narrow, so it will squeeze through a lot of spots that my other rigs could only get jammed into. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The K5 is big, fun to drive, sucks gas, and is way easier to modify if you get the serious off road bug. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It has a bigger engine, bigger axles, will fit bigger tires, etc.

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I agree with Harry. It depends on what you want to do with it. If you want something that will get good mileage, but take it off road occasionally, get the S10. If you want to get something that you can eventually build up to do more serious wheeling, get the K5.

I recently got a 03 S10 pickup and I'm really impressed with how well it does off road. I've pulled out two fullsize trucks burried up to the back bumper, both only had two wheel drive, and pulled my scout 300 mi. round trip with it a couple weeks ago. Only complaints I have about it are the lack of ground clearance and the stupid plastic on the front bumper.

I also have a 79 K10, 79 K5, and 81 K30. They do great offroad, are easy to work on and modify and are relatively cheap. There are more options for aftermarket and performance parts. They have more room than the S10 and definitely more power. However, they do use a lot of gas.

7. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It really depends on what you want to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. Really evaluate what you want to do with it before you buy. If a winter-beater, daily driver that you don't intend to mod is what you want, the S10 is a better bet. Parts are cheap (Not Aftermarket parts, but replacement stock pieces... Aftermarket stuff is still real cashy for the S10's...) and buy-in price is about as good as it gets for a dependable 4x4.

[ QUOTE ]
    I've got a K5, an S-10 Jimmy, and 2 Suburbans. Each is great for its intended purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen!!! There is no such thing as an All-Purpose Vehicle!!! I have a '95 LT1 Z28. It goes really fast really well, and looks really cool doing it. What it was meant to do. It does not haul groceries or passengers well, nor does it leave the pavement. I have a '92 Chevy G20 High-Top Conversion Van. It hauls Anything comfortably (Family of 4 with 3 dogs in my case) and is like roadtripping in your living room. What it was designed to do. I have a K5 Blazer. It's impervious to most weather conditions, can tow a healthy trailer, and makes a great work truck. What it was meant to do. It is not smooth and comfortable to roadtrip in. Daily driving is fine. I have had several S10 Blazers, both stock and modified (see separate reply below...) and they were all awesome for what they were designed for... a small 4x4 with great daily driver, street manners, decent mileage, and good occasional off road capability.

[ QUOTE ]
    The S-10 goes offroad WAY better than most folks think it will, you just have to learn where the frame rails hang down so you don't get hung on big rocks. It rides nice and gets good mileage (16-18 in town and 18-20 on the highway). It's also very narrow, so it will squeeze through a lot of spots that my other rigs could only get jammed into. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto Ditto Ditto. I took my 'mostly stock' S10 places that made Jeepers drop their jaws. Like Harry said, it's narrower than almost anything, including Heeps, so it will go a lot of places you won't be able to explore in the K5.

[ QUOTE ]
    The K5 is big, fun to drive, sucks gas, and is way easier to modify if you get the serious off road bug. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It has a bigger engine, bigger axles, will fit bigger tires, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto on the easier to modify thing. Easier and cheaper, and the 'Big Factor' is noteable. The ground clearance alone even in stock form is phenomenally better than a stock S10. Larger tires on an S10 get exponentially more difficult to add, while you can put just about any size tires on a K5 that you want with little cost or bother. Again, it depends on what you plan to do with the truck. But what you plan to do with the truck will change after you buy it and take it off-road!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My overall suggestion based on your original parameters for what your current needs are: S10.

Paul 'X' [​IMG]

8. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Welcome to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Get the K5. The S10 has zero cool factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I respect your right to have and express your own opinion here in the Great /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif, I challenge you to a caged death match based on that S10 comment!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG] My basic philosophy is to put the most power in the smallest package, whether it's a gun, a truck, a car, or a toaster. Therefore the S10's have always appealed to me. I Love my K5, and it's fun to daily drive and off-road both. But my next primary trail vehicle will be another V8 S10. Here's why:

TPI V8 S10 4x4 Blazer

One of Many S10 Off-Road Adventures

My Few Moments of Fame Defending the S10 4x4

Paul 'X' [​IMG]

9. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've been thinking of buying a Blazer as a winter car, and was wondering if you guys can give me some advice on what to look for and what not to? Also, how reliable these things are and the availability of parts for them? I was originally thinking of getting an S10, but then heard that the K5 was a great option too. So now I'm in a quandry of what to do. I'm hoping you guys can give me some pointers, thanks. Just looking for a general overview of these machines. Thanks

Kevin

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly new to K5's, so I'll let the experts here guide you on the caviats of purchasing a used one.

With S10 4x4's though, the main thing I'll say is don't buy anything older than 1989, and don't get less than the TBI 4.3L. (Vortec 4.3L if you can find one in your price range is better...) In 1989, the trucks had many improvements. The 4.3L was a big one, stronger rear axles and differential, EFI, NP231 transfer case, to name a few. Spend the few extra bucks to get the newer model truck with these features. You'll absolutely hate a 1985 2.8L Carb'd Automatic. Trust me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul 'X' [​IMG]

10. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

OK, OK. By the looks of your links, the S10 does have some cool factor. I was just talkin' out of my ass 'cause I've never owned and I don't even think I've ever ridden in an S10. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif But what I do know is that I'm a HUGE fan of my K5. Ever since I saw one with its top off (way back before I ever had a drivers license) I have knew I had to have one. After I blew the motor on my Toy, I got the K5. I know that my near stock Toy got me into and out of a lot of places where I shouldn't have been. My comment 'bout the S10 was premature, I admit. But then again, I'm 6'4" and that sure has something to do with my choice of fullsize vs. "compact". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry for the hijack /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OK, OK. By the looks of your links, the S10 does have some cool factor. I was just talkin' out of my ass 'cause I've never owned and I don't even think I've ever ridden in an S10. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was just givin' ya a hard time... I took a lot of guff on the trails for driving an S10... usually until they saw it in action, or until I'd pulled out several Heeps... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's a video that has inspired a few others to put a V8 in their S10's... This is what 240hp and a rear locker will do for a small truck. FWIW, this was on a private driveway and the cameraman was expendable. If you watch the video closely, you can see that the pavement is barely as wide as the truck is long... I could almost turn it around in its own shadow!!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Back in The Day... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

V8 4x4 S10 Blazer Figure-8's on Pavement...

[ QUOTE ]
    But what I do know is that I'm a HUGE fan of my K5. Ever since I saw one with its top off (way back before I ever had a drivers license) I have knew I had to have one. After I blew the motor on my Toy, I got the K5. I know that my near stock Toy got me into and out of a lot of places where I shouldn't have been.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love my K5 too. I've eyeballed it as potential grocery money recently since money has been tight, but every time I drive it I swear I'll keep it even if I have to starve! There's something really cool about driving a big-ass truck!

[ QUOTE ]
    ...But then again, I'm 6'4" and ...

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I hereby officially retract my request for a caged death match! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Paul 'X' [​IMG]