Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking to buy a new ELK gun.. for long shots 600 plus yards

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Silver84k5, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i have been looking lately at Bigger rifles

Right now im looking at the .375 H&H 338-378 Weatherby maybe just a normal .338 weatherby

i know there are a few gun guys here... Could you give me some info on some of these.. or Suggest different calibers... Thx a lot...

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You're really going to be shooting at 600 + yards?

:doah:

Maybe a bolt action 50 bmg.

3. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I haven't looked at the ballistics lately, but check out some of the WSM's or Ultra Mags. I seem to remember them having some pretty good ballistics. You can't get any closer than 600 yards? Man, that is a long shot!

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

go for the 300 ultra mag :bow: :bow:

5. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I agree with the .50 cal.

[​IMG]

That's one hell of a long-gun.

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, first off, I hope 600 yards is an exaggeration. Antelope hunting where everything is flat I find myself uncomfortable and innacurate if the ranges are beyond 400-450 yards. I personally wouldn't use a WSM for elk hunting. Mind you, I've never been elk hunting, but I bought one of the first .300 WSM A-bolts and it definitely wasn't even close to the hype put out by Browning/Winchester. It had a lot more recoil, was a tad more accurate, and had ballistics nearly identical to our .300 Win. Mag. (also an A-bolt with the same length barrel) I ended up selling it and buying the .300 from my dad.

The ballistics of a .300 UM are pretty good. We have one in a 700 and it shoots pretty tight groups, but we hand load for all of our rifles for accuracy's sake.

A friend that lives a few hours away has a .338-.378 Weatherby. It shoots very well and can definitely reach out and poke something, but you'd better not be afraid of recoil. A heavy hunting bullet and a hot load will knock your socks off in a caliber like that.

I don't think you'll have to worry about it considering the calibers you're looking at but my only piece of advice would be don't try and put together a very light combination. It'll kill your shoulder at the range, and I've found lighter rifles wobble and shake a lot more when I'm breathing hard and shaking while lining up for the big shot.

7. FreedomIsntFree

FreedomIsntFree 1/2 ton status

.300 WinMag maybe a .338 Lapua

8. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

i dont hunt, but used to own a 340 weatherby. i had a blast shootoing the thing. i reloaded my own ammo and would put 40~50 rounds through it at the range. it was accurate and a real nice shooter. i didnt find recoil unbearable. but then again i think gun recoil is more hype than gun accuracy claims.

9. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I just found:

The .300 Winchester Magnum
    Growing in popularity as the favorite elk hunting rifle

Hunting Rings The serious hunter who does a lot of Elk hunting likes the .300 Winchester Magnum.
    This power house pushes a 200-grain bullet to 400 yards and still retains a speed of over 2,200 fps, and over 2,200 ft/lbs of energy.
    The muzzle velocity is greater in the .300 Win. Mag. with a 220-grain bullet than many other Elk calibers that are restricted to the lighter bullets.
    Any Elk hunter who goes afield with the .300 Win. Mag. will never have to wonder if his bullet will do the job when he must reach to 450 yards across a canyon.
    An Elk hunter looking for a rifle to use strictly fo Elk cannot do much better than the .300 Winchester Magnum.
    It does come with a price though. It has a great deal of recoil.
    Because of the kick, the .300 Magnum is often chambered in heavy, long barreled rifles that can be a bother to carry all day hunting.
    Anyone wanting the .300 Magnum but not the recoil that comes with it ought to consider the use of a muzzle break.

10. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

a couple years ago i decided on another rifle. i previously hunted with a model 70 375 h&h mag... 270 grain bullets. a buddy that reloads and swore by win 300 mags talked me into one. i bought a ruger 300 win mag with synthetic stock. talk about a gun that kicks :mad: i couldn't hardly bear to sight it in ( kicks much more than the 375!!) i got it muzzle braked and a good recoil pad, kicks like a 243 now :D with over the counter bullets i shot my elk at 400 yards that year. with a hot load you could reach out pretty far :waytogo:

11. FreedomIsntFree

FreedomIsntFree 1/2 ton status

On top of the .50 bmg and .308, our marine snipers use the .300 winmag to "reach out" and "touch people"

12. Silver84k5

Thx for all the responses... I think im gonna go with the 338-378

the .300 ultra mag would prolly work.. but i want to be sure

The Distance is 600 yards if the elk are in the middle of the ridge... it is 900 if they are at the top... The guy that i was hunting with up there had a Range finder or some damn thing.. he was also shooting a 338-378

$97 dollars for a box of shells for the damn thing holy hell... Looks like im gonna be asking some reloading Equipment questions in the future...

13. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Unless you put a ton of rounds through the gun (with a .338-.378 you won't) you're not gonna come out ahead in terms of price when you compare reloading vs. buying. You can, however, tune the loads to your gun and make it much more accurate by reloading.

14. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I'm saving my dimes for a Shiloh Sharps 45-120. Pricey (5-6K), but when sighted properly, they are good to 1000 yards. There are Italian copies out there for 1200 bucks, but the Shiloh is handmade.

15. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

You sure about that?

Lot more to shooting at those ranges than having a flat shooting round.The trajectory (how "flat" it shoots) of a bullet is pretty much a constat. While heat, humidity, and elevation do play a role they are less likey to change the impact of a bullet as much as wind. 600 yards is a long ways to hit something consitantly with precision. THe 300 wim mag will fit the bill, remington used to make a 190gr extended range boat tail soft point that was sub MOA ammo. Speaking of MOA you, your rifle, and scope better be capable of keeping sub MOA groups at 600 yards before attempting to harvest game at those distances unless you like leaving wounded animals in the field.

my .02

16. Silver84k5

What is MOA....

and yes ill be practicing with it as long as my shoulder can handle it

17. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna leave the first thought that crossed my mind with this question un-said...

MOA is Minute Of Angle. 1 MOA is 1" of dispersion at 100yds, 2" at 200yds, 3" at 300yds, and so on. A weapon that puts 3-5 rounds into a 1" circle at 100yds is said to be capable of 1 MOA. Obviously, the shooter has to do his part, too...

Pretty sure. .300WM is supposed to have worked "very well" in the sandbox so far in "evaluations".

18. Silver84k5

dont leave it unsaid... What were you gonna say..

19. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

600 yds is a heck of a shot for anyone to make regardless of the weapon, even for the guys that shoot those ranges for a living(read; snipers). Elk hunting is definately long distance shooting. 300-400 yards is typical. That being said, my father was an hunting guide in Montana for many (20+) years. He guided Craig Boddington on some hunts in the early 70's. My Dad's weapon of choice was a .270. Personally I would go with the .270, .308, or 30.06. All flat shooting rounds.

John

20. Silver84k5

ill be using a .270 for everywhere else i hunt elk Except, Ming Point.. The place of this long ass shot... That being said... Im kinda second guessing buying the weatherby, and just finding the Elk somewhere else... Its just that they are sitting on this Ridge, EVERY SEASON... without fail... Plus.. if you were to down a Bull on this hillside.. You have to Stumble down the the bottom of the canyon.. Cross a river.. Claw your way up the other side... get the animal, drag him down to the river, float him down the river about a mile.. dRag him up the bank.. and then your to a road... IT would literally take from Dawn till Dusk to get him out.....