Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

looking to buy a new truck.....Advice needed!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Oct 2, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

ok guys i am looking for any advice or input or experiences that could help me out. I am looking to get me a new daily driver, i am moving in with my g/f here soon and it will be freeing me up for about $1200.00 a month in cash......so i figure i will just bite the bullet and go get me a new truck.....i havent deceided what i want yet, but i have narrowed it down to a 2004-05 dodge cummins 6speed quadcab or a 4door 01-04 superduty powerstroke, if i get the dodge it will be getting a 6inch lift and some 37" toyos, if i get the powerstroke it will get an 8" lift and some 38" toyos......those are the plans anyways. I will be moving to washington here soon so i have no idea what i will be able to get away with. oh yeah and does anyone have any pics of anything simular to what im looking for? thanks

2. bigbadchev84

anyone????

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

personally, i'd go for the dodge. to me it looks better, and i feel the cummins is more reliable, plus it has a better front axle.

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

wait for the new duramax and six speed allison. hows 650 lb ft of torque sound?

coming in spring 2006

save the 1200 a month until they come out and put a big down payment on it

ryan

5. bigbadchev84

Im not really wanting to wait that long though.......i am in the market for it here pretty soon...... i was gonna go talk to the bank...but i need to know what i want first

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

the 04.5 and up arent any slouches either.

make sure it is a LLY NOT and LB7

ryan

7. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Why don't you sink the money into your current rig? That's what I'd do. :confused:

8. bigbadchev84

im keeping my 84 shortbox its my toy...but at 14" of lift it will have to be a mud-only truckso i am going to need something to tow it with......plus i want something new and bling, i just need to know if anyone has anything good or bad to say about them.....motors, trannies, whatever, thanks again guys

9. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

TRUE!

10. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

Heres what you do.

Start saving that 1200 a month, maybe even only 900 of it. Until the 06 Duramax comes out. By then you have put that extra 300 a month into your current rig / gas, and have managed to save close to 5500$ for your down payment. With a good downpayment like that your monthly will be MUCH lower than it would be if you just walked in and signed a deal. say probably in the area of 100-200 a month that you can use to furnish the place, or spend on the girl to make here happy.

TRUST ME ON THIS ONE!

11. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

dodge and ford have no idea how to build a transmission. thats why the only ones that last behind their deisels is a manual (built by someone else). the allison is probably the best auto tranny gm has ever put in a truck.

that cummins may be a great motor, but its still wrapped in a crappy truck. chevy and gmc have dodge and ford beat hands down on interior ,ride and engine noise.

oh and with the 04.5 and up duramax, the turbo is a variable vane turbo which allows the boost to be controlled independently of engine speed (faster spool up and built in exhaust brake).

if it were me id find an 04.5 and up duramax, twist up the torsion bars and slap on some h2 rims and some 315/70r17 inch bfg ats. make it a gmc with power everything and xm radio with a six disc cd in the dash. oh and maybe a dvd for the back seat (factory option) in a crew cab.

ryan