Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

looking to buy a tow rig

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Seventy4Blazer, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

looking at buying a 1996 to 2000, maybe 2001 truck. must be a dually and prefer a crew cab. NO FORDS.

so, whats your question ya ask?

well, i know dodge didnt makes a crew cab for those years. BUT i like the I-6 vice the V8. anyhoo, all GM bias asside is the cummings better than the 6.5LTD?
    any pros or cons on the 6.5?
    and any on the dodge
    thanks
    Grant

2. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

If you want a factory crew cab your only option appears to be a GM with 6.5TD. I would look for a '99-00 model. The early piston spray blocks ('97-98) were known to crack around the spray nozzles and put coolant into the oil. If this happens under warranty then you get a new udated motor. Out of warranty is your problem, ie,$$$$.

The cummins, IMO, is the better of the two. But NEVER offered in a true crewcab from the factory.

Some of the better things you could do to make the 6.5 run better is install an intercooler and better exhaust to help lower EGTs while towing, and some more power. I have pulled with a '93 crewcab dually 6.5TD(35' 5ver) and it was a comfortable ride and got the job done. Just don't expect to keep up with the others, 'specially if they are turned up a little.

Now if you are lucky enough to run across a conversion crewcab dodge with the cummins then go for it! If it has the auto trans expect to have it beefed up if it already hasn't.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The cummins, IMO, is the better of the two. But NEVER offered in a true crewcab from the factory.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that is the BIG turndown on the dodge. but the big UP to the dodge is the I-6. i have a gas I-6 that had 280 miles on it. i abbused the hell out of it and it still drove(VERY poorly) with a broken crank. granted it just got me home then pulled out, but it would still run.

another turn down on the dodges is the fact that they do have weak trannys. if i recal correctly that was a big problem for them in 96 and 97....

the thing is i want to stay around 10 to 13 thousand dollars. so i am limited. but the snow birds down here are always selling great condition well maintained trucks for great prices. so i should be able to find a good deal out here.
    thanks for the info. it has been noted.

what year dodge would you recomend? im gonna stay away from a crew cab conversion. they cost to much.
    also, any info on the 6 speeds in the trucks? what years an all that stuff. good bad?
    Grant

4. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

What year dodge would I recommend? None. Since your looking at a crew cab GM the quad cabs don't even come close in rear seat room. Have owned several GM ext and crew cabs, test drove several quad cab dodges, biggest detractor was rear seat room. My '94 GMC ext had more leg room than the '00 QC dodge we drove.

I'm not gonna get into the whole I6 Vs V8 argument.

From what I've heard/seen/read any 4sp auto of any year in the dodge is suspect to fail in stock form. This from owners/dealer techs and independent trans shops in the area.

I don't think you'll find a 6spd truck in your price range for a while, especially if you want 4wd. Look for a GM with a NV4500 if want a manual, I was gonna buy a '96 SRW crew cab 6.5TD/NV4500 until I seen how far the rust progessed(freakin MDOT and their SALT /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif).

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have a Dodge Dually and with the quad cab and Cummins. Mine is a 99'. I put that Bully Dog performance module in an oh my Gawd. I pull my 35 foot fifth wheel with my 19 foot boat hooked up to the rear of the camper as fast as I want to go.

As far as the trannies failing they had some problems with them because of the roller pilot bushing would fail causing the input shaft to vibrate and self distruct the tranny. Some of the dealers are putting in brass pilot bushings instaed and they are running forever. There was no way to lube the roller bushing and it would just disintegrate.

I advise staying away from the 97 Dodge. I don't know why it is but when you go down to buy something for your truck it usually says fits 94-00 Dodge exc.97. I don't know what the changed in 97 but it obviously did not work so they changed it back in 98.

John

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Cummins Turbo Diesel. Why settle for second rate?

7. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

If you go 2000 or 2001 you can get a Duramax Chevy Diesel. 300 HP and 520 Ft Pounds. Check www.thedieselpage.com, the Duramax is an awesome engine. It is V8, but no cracked blocks or warped heads like the 6.5s, and best of all, you won't have to drive a D*dge.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Like I said, why settle for second best? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Btw, get the dodge for a lot cheaper and add a 600 dollar edge ez chip. Then you'll be singing to the tune of 305 horse and 660 lbs/ft. Medium duty truck motor= you aren't gonna wear it out. The problem is that the dodge that's built around it will wear out in 200-300K. But that's ok, because then you can do that swap into the V30 crew cab you've been dreaming of!!! Anyways, that's my plan. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The quad cab is a joke though, I agree. I wish all the time now that I had left it off and gotten 4wd instead. Had no idea I'd be moving to snow country. As for the quad cab, everyone bitches about having to sit back there, including my 5'2" wife...**** ext cabs, I want a true crew or regular cab. The quad is just good for all my crap, and I've already got a toolbox for that. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

we have a D/A Crew Cab- 1 of our Cummins is a "quad cab"...WHAT a difference in room. The Crew Cab is very close to the amount of room you'd have in the second row of a Suburban or Tahoe. Brother in laws are all over 6' and they sit back there without any problems. Now the cummins- well, even my kids who are 5 and 6 are crampped.

We drove the D/A to Florida last spring- and there was PLENTY of room- the second seat is far enough back that the TV/VCR combo could be on the console- and the kids didn't have to lean over to watch it.

We've towed our tractors with both- and I'll tell ya the D/A kicks a**. The Allison is the best transmission for towing on the market...will hold itself going down a hill...downshifts at the correct points going up hills- the cummins transmission is all over the place if you tow on the highway.

We have had more issue's with the D/A than we have with the cummins- however- if they had fixed it the first time, the cummins would have been ahead in the "time spent at the doctor" department.

All in all there both good trucks, however if I were to buy another one today- I'd be a Duramax. Dodge has some issue's with it's high idle as well. Ours has been in the shop for that a few times...

Plus- as an added bonus- our Duramax is quieter than any other diesel you'll ever own.........

Brandy