Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

looking to buy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TAK, Jan 6, 2006.

1. TAK

TAK Newbie

ive started to look for a new car and have been wanting a K5 for a while. is there anything i should know about them before I buy one. i need a reliable truck that I can take up to tahoe. where should i look for a K5? is my best bet the classifieds or should i be looking else where? thanks for the help.

2. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

well is this gunna be a dd or mostly for play? ebay had some good deals on blazers today some that were really cheap that could use a little work others that were realy nice . the classifieds here could be a good place. what area do you live and are looking for them i have a few friends that have a collection of blazers, there in good shap but need some parts .

3. TAK

TAK Newbie

i live in the bay area and go to college in chico so any where in or between those to spots would be nice. its going to be a daily driver so i need something that can get me around town as well as back and forth to school and to tahoe. i was looking at ebay but id realy like to be able to see the car in person and not have to deal with shipping.

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Check out the classifieds. Hi Pinion has a really nice and clean K5 for sale (relatively fresh engine, too)

5. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about selling my rig.....am moving soon and don't want to have to pay to relocate it....

6. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Really? Gilroy huh?

7. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Yup, pretty darn close to hollister....let me know!

Well, back to the real question. Since you are in California, and I assume you live in a county that requires biyearly smog inspections, I would go with a 87-91 with TBI, or a pre-75 rig that will be SMOG exempt. It's just easier to not deal with it. I swapped on a TBI to replace my computer controlled carb so that I could pass smog. Other than motors, and transfer cases, there really isn't much different from year to year. The look changed from generation to generation, but they are the same basic truck. Which is great because finding parts is really simple.

Best places to check for nice rigs are on this site, pirate, and the norcal and socal bigdawgs sites. There are a few out in the classifieds too. Many can be found with newer crate motors installed.