Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking to increase fuel economy on a 2000 silverado. Help.

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by sinchphoto, Feb 26, 2003.

1. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

The engine is a 5.3v8 and all it has is a set of Borla exaust. It has to be smog legal. I want to increase gas mileage, should I go for a k&n kit, Msd box, or anything else? who has what and is it noticeable?

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Buy a honda. You can buy all the bolt-on's in the world and you will get maybe 1-2 mpg more... Is that worth 1000 bucks worth of stuff? Not to me and my 6mpg truck...

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I'd have to agree- With the 5.3 your fuel economy should be pretty darn good to begin with....as long as your not dumpin the right foot every time you drive........

BUT- if your really looking for good mileage- pull that 5.3 and toss in a Duramax- ...........21.5 mpg is pretty darn good...STOCK

Brandy

4. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Get some of the magnet things that you put on your fuel line, then get one of the vortex intake dohikkies..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Actually the K&N might help a little but don't expect much.

Mike

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

open up your spark plug gap by about .010...helped me a little

6. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

yeah my buddy Zack has a new Z71 with the 5.3 and that thing is one of the quickest trucks ive seen stock. he put a K&N filter charger system on it and is going to put a bigger mass airflow sensor and get a power programer. right now his getting around 18 to 20 MPG and that is just with the K&N system. You should have great MPG right now just cruz at lower RPMs. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I got a best of 13.5 mpg in my '00 5.3 2wd. The 4wd 6.0 '01 I have now is about 10mpg! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif