Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking to learn about K5 Blazers.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by swoo55, Oct 26, 2003.

1. swoo55

swoo55 Registered Member

Hello Everyone I'm Swoo. Also very new here.

I'm a '74 Blazer student looking to learn what I can about the Truck I'm about to buy...and I'd like to ask alot of questions to learn these things.
    I'm looking at buying a '74 K5 Blazer and it has a 14 Bolt Ford rear end with the 8 or 9 lug wheels.
    It has the 3 SPD Trans and I'm not sure which Transfer Case but It might be a 205.

I'm looking to run with 33"tires and I'd like to know the best set up to put back into it make it a GM again.
    Is the GM 12 bolt rear end set up with Positraction and a 4SPD Trans with a 205 Transfer case the right stuff? I'd love to learn the in's and out's of it.
    If you know please let me know.
    Thanks
    Swoo

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

14 bolt ford rear end? sterling 10.25"??? how do you know its a ford rear end? and why is the ford rear end in it?....12 bolts are nominally stronger than a 10 bolt, and i just broke a 10 bolt with 33s, swapped a 12 bolt in until i can afford a 14 bolt full floater....but if you dont plan on wheeling it too hard, a 12 bolt would work for 33s..is the k5 full time or part time 4wd? if its full, its a 203, if its part time and cast iron case its a 205..

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Start searching the forum for anything you want infoo on. If ya can't find it post it up somebody will let ya know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif This is by far the best place and the best group of people to learn about GM's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...........Oh Yeah Welcome to CK5

4. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

what kinda driving you goign to be doing with this rig? daily driver? wheeler? or combo of both?
    33's should be fine with a 12 bolt, i would try to get around a 3:73 gear ratio with 33's and a 205 if i was daily driving it
    honestly think about how yoru gonna use it, then repost with how your going to use the rig
    14ff would be awesome to have ( i cant afford one) but if your going to use it as a daily driver never wheel it, with 33's an open 12 with 3:73 would be fine, what front end does it have?
    rem that when going from the 8lug in it to the 12 bolt you will have to replace the wheels
    might just find ya a 14 sf with gears to put under it, that coudl never hurt

5. swoo55

swoo55 Registered Member

Dude said something about the guy he brought it from had Monster wheels on it and he needed the bigger rear end.
    It has an 8 lug axle in back and 6 lug front. It's a full time 203 With a 3 Spd Man trans.
    What's the best set up for running a 203 transfer with manual trans?
    Thanks
    Swoo

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

youd want to do a part time kit conversion to that np203 t-case...if i were you id find out more about that rear end before i bought it, have a digicam? take a pic of it, dont have a digicam? buy a 12 exposure throw away, take 12 pictures of the truck, and running gear and such, have them put on cd when developed and post them here..!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. swoo55

swoo55 Registered Member

I'm living in the city so I'll be driving here. Freeways and streets. Then I load the Kayak, beers and Bikes on it and Four wheel in to the put-in and out again. I ski Back country and there is always that snow stuff around...High altitude too! Less O2...Gotta think about Carbs.
    So, it's safe to say It's gonna be used like the Truck it is.
    Talk to me...I'm reading and thinking about it.
    Swoo