Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking to Rebuild my 89K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigcat44, Mar 17, 2005.

1. bigcat44

bigcat44 Registered Member

After contemplatng the 454 swap I have decided for what I use my Jimmy for (basic trail/light mud and to and from work) I am just going to rebuild my stock 350tbi. Question is this and I am looking for all kinds of feedback on this. My 2 neighbors are helping me with this and I can be without my truck for a week or 2 if need be. First, what should I upgrade while I am pulling it? I am looking at basic bolt in mods, second is there a basic rebuild kit that inlcudes everything needed to do a complete rebuild? I have some Hooker comp headers (not installed yet) and a custom high flow exhaust currently installed. I am looking at the CFM tech stuff also. One neighbor recommends building it up to a 383 stroker I am looking to do the best bang for my bucks!! what do you think?

2. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Summit and Jeg's both have complete rebuild kits that include pistons/bearings/gaskets etc... Better wait till you get it torn down though, you'll need to get it torn down and off to a machine shop before you will now how far it will need to be bored, how much your crank will need to be turned etc...

You better bank a bit more time than a week or two. Most machine shops are pretty busy and it could be a few weeks just to get parts machined and that doesn't include teardown and rebuild time.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

One option if going budget, is to find another block, preferably in really good shape, so it's a simple pull one/replace with other.

Upgrade here would be a later car or truck block with factory roller camshaft, maybe get some better heads, like the L98 Camaro ones.

4. bigcat44

bigcat44 Registered Member

FJ,

I work in an acft maintenance work center and have a couple buddies over in the machine shop that would do the work. However worse case, I can be without my truck as my 04 Maxima is sitting in my driveway it's just not as fun to drive!!

Dyeager, so you think I would be better off finding a newer used engine or block minus the heads at a junk yard and then look for some camaro L98 heads? Pardon my ignorance I am new to this and have never tore into an engine before so would this be a pretty easy bolt on as far as the heads to the block?

also: reason for the rebuild is, while the truck is running great, I get some smoke on start up from a leaking valve seal. No other problems with the engine, no knocks rattles and once the engine has started for a few minutes, no more smoking

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It just depends on what you find. If you find a complete car block with L98 heads, great. A TBI roller car block would probably be fine too, but the heads aren't very good...the difference between the two is the camshaft. I doubt the L98 camshaft is much different than the TBI ones, but if it is a fair amount different, it may affect how the truck runs.

Those specs are probably over on thirdgen.org.

To keep it *budget*, stick with stock heads of the same vintage, and you won't cause yourself more headaches in other areas. If you decide 383, etc., forget budget, the cost is going to start adding up quickly.

Funner to drive, but we just had a discussion on this. For around $3000 you can get into an LS1 motor, but that will be a lot of down time etc. When you add up mods on your engine for a 383, you will quickly approach that $3000. LOTS and lots of variables in building an engine, no one is going to give you the exact same answer.

6. bushmaster

bushmaster 1/2 ton status

i built a 383 and the cost did add up i could of got the 383 crate motor from gm a little cheaper performance is ok but im still unhappy shouldda went with a 502if u decide rebuild get rotating assy balanced i built a few engines and didnt bother i balanced the 383 and noticed a big diffrence good luck