Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looking to upgrade my engine..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bckinblk, Jun 22, 2002.

1. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I want to add some horses to my stock 88 k-5 5.7 tbi I looked into headers and a flowmaster kit and I looked into a holley tbi .my question is does anyone make a high performance manifold for tbi applications? If so which do yous guys recommend thanks in advance for any info.........

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I beleive that Edelbrock makes one. You should be able to find it on their website. </font color>

3. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I looked at edelbrock #3704 for a tbi 5.7 but it does.nt say whether or not it will increase power .have any of you guys tried this manifold??? is it worth the $212 or is there a better one out there??

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you are getting the Holley Throttle Body. Holley also makes a Weiland Stelth intake designed to go with their 670 cfm TB. I think it would work better than the Edelbrock.
    Beings the manifold will raise the height of the TBI you may also need to order a special bracket for the TV cable.(holley has these) So you will be able to keep it adjusted properly. Which is critical to transmission operation and long life.
    Both the Edelbrock and Weiland manifolds are dual plane so they should improve your performance. Probabaly get more torque than HP which is good for trucks. You will need headers/ high performance exhaust to get the most out of these manifolds.

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't dump your stock TBI. Vortec heads, GMs Vortec to TBI intake, TBI friendly cam, and some exhaust. You could go MSD later when you get more funds. All the magic happens in your heads. Anyone know what the compression ratio will be raised up to with those 64cc chambers. I've got 'em and can't get a straight answer from anyone , I've heard anywhere from 9.1-10.6 . I run 91 octane with 36 degrees total advance plus vacuum and it only pinged once so far. I was pulling a stock car and trailer up a slight grade only doing 1,400 rpm.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I gotta agree with Blazer Boy about not getting rid of your stock set up. I think the stock rochester TB is a lot more depedable then the holley unit. It seems that Holleys have had a lot of injector problems over the years on their TBI units. I have heard that they have improved them. But the stock TBs has proven to be very durable and problem free for many years.

If you want to upgrade the stock unit. check out this site:turbocity.com
    I'v used most of the stuff on that page on my own and other TBI trucks
    I have been very satisifed with their performance parts.

7. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

My kickdown cable isnt hooked up on my 79 blazer with a th350....will this hurt it?

NITRO

8. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

The kickdown isn't hooked up on my brother's camaro either. It will just make it harder when you tryto pass somebody on the road.

Keeps the stock tbi, it is about the most dependable part on the truck, my unit is still original except for the fuel pressure regulator, and the truck has 227,000 miles on it, everything else has been replaced at least once, even the emblems! A good cam, heads, intake man., and headers combo is about the best way to get there with the tbi. Also get a chip for the comp. its is a "cheap" 30hp, after I put the 33's on mine felt like a dog, now with the headers and chip I can bark the tires off the line with stock gears. If you can afford it get a 383 stroker, you can get them from chevy for about $3900, they are a straight boltin, and will work with the stock tbi.

9. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I believe World makes cylinder heads that will work with your stock intake. I don't know whether they're as hot as Vortecs for low end grunt and wheter the new GM TBI-Vortec intake is better than your stock one. Could save a few dollars if you need to. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Look around www.turbocity.com .... I got their matched injectors and re-sized TBI unit. Did real well for the butt dyno....no dyno to make solid proof of the investment. Oh Edelbrock makes a MPFI intake that uses your stock TBI....guessing that is what Shaggy was talking about.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The ONLY thing I've heard for compression with the Vortecs is about 9.3-9.5:1. Plenty to run them on 87 with no pinging, given proper advance for that octane.

That would be with the stock slightly dished (IIRC) pistons. I'm running some plain old Speed Pro hypereutectic pistons in my motor (as soon as the machine shop gives me my pieces back!) and compression has been guesstimated by numerous at approx 9.5:1

I thought I'd even seen it in print, that going from 76CC heads to Vortecs, (64CC's, there are a few 64CC heads obviously) alone, will push compression up to 9.5:1, which is what most people do, go from stock pistons with smog heads, to Vortecs.