Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looks like I got the weekend covered up!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Grim-Reaper, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Maybe the next one also!
    Just placed and order with Stephen at ORD. Boy I like dealing with him. Always great to talk to. Always will help you with a problem. Get's the orders out fast.
    He was pretty sure he had everything in stock so should ship today and be here by the weekend. I wish more buisness's would take note of how much that makes a difference. I will pay a little extra for service like that.
    Here is what I ordered.
    2 sets of zero rates with offset. Going to move my front axle forward and inch. I can't cut back any more than I am without some serious work because of my slider air tanks. Moving the axle forward I hope will make the difference and keep the tires out of the fender. I already have a problem with bottoming the front driveshaft so I think this will solve several problems.
    Got the rear set because I'm already low an almost 1.5inches. Going to add a extra leaf to make up for the rest. Hate to loose the flex but I trailer stuff and I am too soft in the rear right now when trailering. The detroit can als cause the rear to twist and give a little wiggle even without a trailer on it. Little extra spring will help with axle wrap also.
    May pull a leaf on the front to get it a little softer up front. and bring it down a hair to help level it out.
    Once I pull the top off for the summer (hopefully for EVER) I'll end up a inch tall in the rear. Just where I want to be.
    Might have to get a new rear drive shaft. I have though about moving the rear back a inch also but I don't have enough drive shaft and I will need to change my parking brake cables to do that so I can get full flex. Might just try to put a limit strap on the pumpkin. I have tried to build this truck to run all stock parts to make it junk yard friendly. I may be beyond that now.
    Moving it back with the extra hight will also help with departure angle.
    New tranny mount, Poly.
    New body mounts in Polly.
    1 inch body lift.
    All this to be ready for a set of 35 inch KM's when BFG get's them back in production.
    Other things I have to fix. Bent the case skid last outing. I have the old style where I have 2 crossmembers that the skid bridges. If I had been in the lady's truck I may have ripped the transfer case off the tranny! I hit HARD! Skid is now touching the case. Crossmember is tweeked some. Get to spend some quality time with the BFH. Going to also put an extra skid on the other side to keep rocks from getting between the two crossmembers. I have had that happen and it stinks. I have rock rash on the side of the case from that.
    Bent my gas tank skid also. My skid in not stock. It's 3/16 plate with suports on both sides. The rear is tied into the cross bar for the class III hitch for suport. VERY beefy. If I had been running stock I would have caved in the gas tank for sure. One suport is bent and the plate is also. More time with the BFH. Think I may beef up the braces. Problem is I don't want to over beef them or next go around I might bend the frame.
    Well I have a question.
    Has anybody tried moving the fan shroud down an inch? I'm going to go electric but have not had the chance to Junk yard for a Electric out of 90's V8 ford car or 6 cyl Taurus. Big fans in those so good doaners. Just might take me a while to find so I need to see if I can move the shroud down for a while. (also need to hold of on spending any more cash or the Lady might get mad).

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

sounds like a lot of work. wish i lived closer, this way i could give youa hand.
    Grant

take me drunk, i am home
    www.geocities.com/seventy4blazer/parts4sale.html

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I just trimmed the minimum for fan clearance at the bottom of the shroud. It was a lot less than I thought it would be. I've had no cooling prob's with it trimmed either and that includes towing last summer in 105 degree temps.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well I may have to do that then. The shroud is just about perfect and hated cutting it if I could move it down. Hmmmm. I got a race shop (pheonix air....no they are based here in GA) that owes me a favor. Bet I could get them to make me an aluminum one [​IMG]

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper