Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looks like I might have to un-join the northwest group....

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by shane74, Jul 9, 2002.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You ever had one of those offers that are too good to refuse even though you really aren't sure if you want to do it??

I just had a job offer from a company north of Chicago. The offer is awesome! I'm just not sure if I want to move or not. But for a guy w/out a degree, it may be the biggest make it or break it moment in my life. What to do?? I guess I need to meditate on this over some ouch-a-hol! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I've been through that scenario three times. Moved three different times for a job........all were worth it in that I got further ahead in things and in the career path. However, the last move I went through (which was for the same company I am still with - for almost 10 years now) took me from here in the PNW to Western PA.......and I couldn't wait to get back here. Even took a job in sales/marketing to do it (after having been in mfg for almost 20 years in plant management). Chicago is a decent place but I wouldn't move there. We have a plant in Batavia (about 30 miles west of Chicago proper) and out that way is nice but the summer heat and the winter cold are WAY different than you are used to here. Was just there last week......... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

That said, a good career move might be worth uprooting your family for........I'll just never do it again. Consider kids in school and the impact of moving them.........sometimes turns out to be a good thing as it was for mine in '97. Only you can decide if the local roots are worth keeping, how much extended family are here, etc. Key point to consider......will your wife be happy there. Do NOT minimize that question........take it from me, I have been there and done that.

One final thought..........that part of the country is flat as a pancake. And they use road salt.......... /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I'm glad to hear your experiences have been for the best for the most part. I appreciate imparting the wisdom too. I have been mulling over everything you said, and then some! My biggest concern is for my wife and kids. We will have NO friends or family out there, and I will have to be working A LOT for the first year or so. It is a start up manufacturing / high speed converting facility and they offered me the Operations Manager position. My first inclination is to say HELL YES!! But...my logical side kicks in and says that there are much more important things than money and position in life. I have it VERY good right now, so it's not like I NEED to do this. For me it's a matter of can I afford not to? If I turn this down, will I ever get this kind of opportunity again? I think I need to buy a bottle of rum and kick back and do some serious contemplating.

Thanks Frank.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

You're welcome.

I thought about my reply and wanted to say one other thing -congratulations! It is a great thing when you're wanted......

Hope my initial reply wasn't too negative - it wasn't meant to be, just wanted to give you my viewpoint from doing it three times.

Good luck with whatever your decision will be. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

congrats on the job offer /forums/images/icons/grin.gif it would be a bummer to have you move away but you need to do what is best for your family

6. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Just remember Shane, jobs may stay where they are and make us come to them, but eventually we gain experience and knowledgs and THAT can later go anywhere with us.ask Frank /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

not like ya cant come back later! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

where ya workin at BlazzinOR?

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I know. That's the whole reason I am thinking that this may be something I CAN'T turn down. If I could pull this one off, then I could pretty much write my own ticket in a few years. If I do this, I'll be going on a 5 year plan. I go for 5 years, then we come home.

9. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

I've had too good to be true job offers in places including Chicago. My priorities on new locations have always been ones with snow skiing available. And Chicago don't even have foot hills, so think about that when you want to wheel. My line of work would shut down for the cold weather in places like that too. The other places like Arazona and Texas... Well, who wants to work outside there?

I don't have a family to think of when it comes to these issues, but I try to think of what these towns have to offer tward my interests. So far, Oregon and Washington offer good wages for me with the mild temperatures and mountains.

I guess my point is.. Life isn't all about work. But then I did say I don't have a family to think of either. I guess thats why I stayed here on unemployment for 8 months when I did have other options.

Well, good luck on what ever you do. Good money is hard to pass up /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Portola Packaging........used to be known as NEPCO here in Portland, had a plant on 181st and San Rafael before Portola bought NEPCO out and closed this plant. We are basically an injection molder of closures (caps) for the milk/water/juice industry - open up your milk jug and look inside the cap, it'll say either be Portola, Cap Snap or Nepco. That's us.

I was General Manager of the plant here, then when we closed moved to the Pa plant as GM for almost 3 years........then this sales/mktg job opened up (thank god) so I could, as Shane said, write my ticket.........and that ticket included living in Portland. They bit, I signed, and me and the family are happy again. PA is fine but it was never home for us........and the summer/winter weather is way more severe than here. Rain? Love it........I'll take the Oregon 45* rain anyday over 10 degree and blowing snow.

Anyway, can you tell I loveoregon? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I here that...Born and raised here in Canby all my life. Wouldn't leave it.

12. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

I lived in Allentown PA for a while. I hated it. Was in the big blizard of 82 there.

The blizard was cool. East coast attitudes are different than they are here though.

13. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Whatever your choice is good luck Shane, Im sure it will turn out for the best. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks Mandy..and everyone else! Like I said awhile ago, I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to meet and hang with. I'll keep everyone posted on my decision though. There are still a couple of things that could turn the deal south though, so who knows. I may end up sticking around.

15. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

Just as I was completing my list of things for you to do, and now your goin to pull up stakes and move /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif J/K
    you know what I am talking about...

I know you will make the right choice for everyone (family and yourself) I wish you all the luck in any decision you make... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

16. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Just when you think ya know me....see how I am! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Thanks man.

17. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I grew up on a small farm in Illinois about 3 hours south of Chicago. Spent one Saturday driving up to Chicago to take a placement test at U of I at Chicago and decided I would NEVER live there! Traffic was terrible on a Saturday.

But where I grew up a tractor on a 2 lane highway was the only traffic jam I had ever seen and that would last about 5 seconds till you could pass.

I have taken 2 opportunities like you describe that I relocated for. Glad I did both because the first got me the experience I needed to get the second and the second one brought me out here /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

18. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yep, I have been to Chicago a number of times. The traffic SUCKS! I am looking at going north of Chicago maybe even into southern Wisconsin to live and drive down to Waukegan where the plant is.

I am hoping to use this as a stepping stone too. If all goes well, I'd be able to go wherever I wanted and be able to suypport my family too. The ultimate goal would be to come back here in 5 years or so.

19. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Hey Shane, any update on this? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

20. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yup. I just got back late Wed. night from a trip out there. The opportunity is excellent, but there are still some areas of negotiation yet. There are a couple of real draw backs to the position, but the future reward potential is something worth serious consideration. I have to do some very serious contemplating. I should know within the next 2 weeks exactly what I am going to do. I hope... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif