Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looks like I'll be doing a water pump- how hard is it?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Pookster, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Looks like I\'ll be doing a water pump- how hard is it?

well, unfortunately, was driving the old girl today... parked it.. noticed coolant leaking. Looked closer, and it was comming from the water pump area. I'll have to check closer if it was a split hose or something....

How hard is it to change the water pump? Should I just take this opportunity to upgrade to the 97+ water pumps? I have serpentine setup already.

2. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: Looks like I\'ll be doing a water pump- how hard is it?

The water pump change isn't too bad. It's no picnic, but there's worse on-vehicle maintenance that can be done.

Pull the belt and the fan clutch. Off comes the oil fill, then the front plate & water pump assembly. Some accessories may bolt to the side two water pump bolts, so keep track of that. It's fairly simple. Get a manual, and keep it close if you're feeling unsure.

Definitely upgrade to the 130 gpm pump. It costs the same, and is the cornerstone of any reliable towing 6.2/6.5. Do you already have the dual thermostat crossover?

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I wish I did, but havent found any (cheap) leads for it yet. In regards to the pump costing the same, it is listed around 60 for the 92 water pump, and 105 for the 97 pump- So I dont know which is which. (other than the cheaper one must be the low flow).

Im having a small leak from the radiator as well- thinking about just changing it at the same time. Most of the leakage issue is acutally comming from the neck not sealing right with the cap. I've changed to a new cap, but its just not sealing right. I'll have to try and adjust it somehow.

4. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Try GMpartsdirect.com for the dual t-stat crossover. pn:12553405 I thinks it's $75 or so.

IIRC, the 1997 130 gpm water pump from NAPA is pn:55-5074. It's the best price I've found. $80 I think.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I don't consider it difficult, just very time consuming. You have to remove at least part of the alternator and p/s pump brackets also.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I'll take a closer look at it later.