Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looks Like Texas

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by behemoth, Mar 26, 2004.

1. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Well - my fiancée got a job in Midland Texas. We're getting married in four weeks - I'm in Louisville KY (we've lived together over six years now). Looks like I'll need a Texas hunting license - specifically for Dove, Quail, Pheasant, Whitetail Deer and Turkey. What's involved with getting a license while maintaining two residences in two different states? I'm going to continue to live here in Louisville for a while, but I need to start looking into relocating to west Texas by the end of the year - or by this time next year. I just changed jobs in the Civil Engineering field - so I'm reluctant to change again so soon. My thinking is that since I still live and work in KY, I'd still be considered a KY resident - BUT- since my soon-to-be wife lives and works in Texas - shouldn't I be allowed to get an in-state resident license? Does any of this make sense??? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I really don't expect anyone to give me a definitive answer, but I thought I'd throw it out there before I start calling Texas Department of Fish and Wildlife (or whatever they're called). Any thoughts from you guys? Thanks !! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Well, first off, if you were born on or after Sept 2, 1971, you are required to take a hunters education class.
    Second, Read this and if that doesn't answer your ?'s try giving contacting TXPWD in Midland:

4500 West Illinois, Suite 307 (79703)
    (432) 520-4649

Good luck!

3. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Corby,
    Thanks for the link. Lots of info there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Also - I think I'm good with the hunter education age requirement. I was 17 in 1971, so I think I've got that covered. Looks like I need to actually live continuously in Texas for at least six months to be considered a resident, though. Oh well. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Mike

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Congradulations. Texas rules. In Midland there's alot of, um, hmmm, anyone know?...oh yah, space, thats it! Being in the western part of the state you're close to whatever meager rocks we have and I imagine there plenty of mud there too. Enjoy it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Before ya get a hunting license, find out how much it costs to actually be able to hunt. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif There is very little public land in Texas, so most hunting takes place on private property. Land owners make extra money by selling "hunting leases" that give you the right to hunt on their property for a certain period of time. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I don't know offhand what it costs to bird hunt, but deer leases in a decent hunting area typically start at around $1,500 per year, per gun. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif So be prepared. Like their TV ads say: "Texas. It's a whole 'nother country". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Oh yeah, I keep forgeting that it's not like that in other countries...er...states. You can get on good leases for about 800/season but you will have to drive a ways. Don't even think about huntin on public land except maybe for dove, anything else you gotta pony up for a lease. I was on a deer lease near Lake Buchanan last season. 650 acres was split between about 15 guys each paying 1500 bones. The cool thing was only about 3 dudes went after the first day of the season, so I basically had it to myself. FYI, that was on Fall Creek Ranch(~6000 acres total) across from Fall Creek vineyard...

7. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Yeah - I heard the hunting lease thing down there is pretty steep. Hell - I hunt deer on 900 acres here in the county and the owner only lets ten of us hunt it - FREE!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Of course, he's one of the ten, and it's one doe only, but what the heck - it fills the freezer! And the kicker is - it only takes me twenty minutes to get there!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif There's turkey there but he hasn't yet warmed up to the idea of shooting them. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I know some guys that have acreage about an hour from town for dove and I know a guy with a "put-and-take" game preserve for pheasant. I guess I've had it pretty good and I don't realize just how good it is. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif