Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looks Promising

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by pauly383, Nov 16, 2005.

1. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

This looks good if they can get it implemented soon , more oil and less emissions . Of course at first I am sure the oil companies wouldn't want to use the extra money to pay for the process .

Carbon Dioxide Storage Technique in Oil Field Proves to Be Success
    11-15-2005 5:43 PM
    By H. JOSEF HEBERT, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON -- An experimental project in Canada to inject carbon dioxide into oil fields has proven successful, removing 5 million tons of the heat-trapping "greenhouse" gas, while enhancing oil recovery, the Energy Department said Tuesday.

If the methodology could be applied worldwide, from one-third to one-half of the carbon dioxide emissions that go into the atmosphere could be eliminated over the next century and billions of barrels of additional oil could be recovered, the department said.

The project is a joint effort by the Energy Department, the Canadian government and private industry. Carbon dioxide is piped from the Great Plains Synfuels plant in Beulah, N.D., where it is a byproduct from coal gasification, to the Weyburn oil field in Saskatchewan, Canada.

"The success of the Weyburn Project could have incredible implications on reducing CO2 emissions and increasing America's oil production," said Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman.

Bodman, who is visiting the Middle East, said in a statement released by his office that if the process were used in all the oil fields of western Canada, "we would see billions of additional barrels of oil and a reduction of CO2 emissions equivalent to pulling more than 200 million cars off the road for a year."

The completion of the first phase of the experimental project gives government officials and industry an indication of how carbon sequestration can both reduce the risk of climate change and allow enhanced oil recovery, extending the oil field's life.

Carbon dioxide, produced from the burning of fossil fuels, is the leading so-called "greenhouse" gas because when released into the atmosphere it creates a heat-trapping blanket. Many scientists believe the growth of manmade sources of these gases will lead to a warming of the earth if the trend is not reversed.

In the Weyburn project, the carbon dioxide when pumped into the oil reservoir increased the pressure and brought more oil to the surface. It increased the field's production by 10,000 barrels a day and "demonstrated the technical and economic feasibility of permanent carbon sequestration," the DOE said in a statement.

Such a process can enhance oil recovery up to 60 percent, extend the life of aging oil fields by decades, and provide a permanent repository for the carbon dioxide in geologic formations, the DOE said.

Now that the first phase of the Weyburn project is completed, researchers are developing a manual on the findings for industry. They also will expand the carbon injection process to an adjacent field where the plan to develop try to improve injection efficiencies and refine the process, according to the DOE statement.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

It would be nice to build some more refineries so we could use the oil.................

3. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I'm with you on this one!

However it goes back to "not in my back yard" and all the liberals bitchin about the envronment. Not that conservation is bad, but at times they take it a little to far in my humble opinion.

EDIT: there is a diffrence between conservation and preservation

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

carbon dioxide is the byproduct of burning fossil fuels? i thought that carbon monoxide was the by product of coombustion. :confused: if there's too much carbon dioxide, death penalties all around. since those pieces of crap serving "life" sentences wont be going anywhere or doing anything important, nd they're emitting carbon dioxide, lets help the environment and the economy at the same time.

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

They can build them in my backyard! My hometown is Corpus Christi, Texas and we have I think 7 or 8 refineries. They are the backbone of our cities economy (population ~250k) but continue to get shafted by the city council. Our ship channel has plenty of unoccupied space and there is PLENTY of labor here. Since I intend to work at a refinery when I graduate I say we knock down the ghetto and the baseball field that are currently on the ship channel and build another refinery or two!

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the problem is when they are able to refine that much extra oil then the supply is way up with the demand unchanged. You would think this would create a drop in oil prices. So why should they bother, it prolly costs alot (at first) and i makes it much much harder for big oil then it already is to justify high prices