Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Looky what I found...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigblazer87, Mar 4, 2007.

1. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

So I've been doing a lot of thinking about my '79 K10 project I'll be starting this summer, and went for a looky-loo through my dad's parts he's got laying around. And while searching, I found these Con-Ferr lift shackles meant for a Toyota rear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They're 6.5" long, and will fit a 2.5" spring, but here's the best part: the top is meant for a 3" spring. So I took a look at my truck's rear 52" springs, and got to thinking again... I can do the L-bracket trick on the front spring hangers, then bolt up these shackles to the factory upper hangers with the narrower springs. Then alls I gots to do is get some 56" springs (or 64") from the parts yard, along with a DIY4X shackle flip and 7.25" shackles, and I'll be set suspension wise on my K10. So what do y'all think? :D

2. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

Better hope he don't whoop your arse for taking them hah..

Good stuff, now get to wrenching.

3. bigblazer87

Well, he stopped fooling around with 'Yotas a long time ago, so he said I can do whatever I want with 'em. :D

And trust me, I can't wait until I can get to working on this nifty 52" swap. I could probably get to work soon, since I've got all the parts (except nuts/bolts) to do it... hmmm... what's the best way to get off the rivets on the front hangers? The rear can wait until summer when I've got the money for it. :(

Quick question; would the springs off of a 2004 Chevy "heavy" 1/2 ton be 64"? There's some locally on craigslist I could pick up for $50 or so (asking $100).

4. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

lots of ways to get the rivets off, air chisel, grinder, drill, all work well.

5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Are you sure the necked down portion will clear the frame?

6. bigblazer87

Now that you ask, I'm not sure...

D'oh! That's what I get for thinking. I'll check it out tomorrow when I get home from school.

7. txfiremank5

Just looking at it, it looks like it may not... and if it does, it might contact durring only minor travel. But it's hard to tell looking at it on a monitor.

It's worth checking out. I hope it will work for you.

8. bigblazer87

Yeah, from the pics it looks like there's 1.5" of clearance from the center of the hole until it steps. I was hoping it would work too, because I'd basically have a free 52" spring swap on the front end. Oh well, I've got until summer to sort things out anyways... :(

9. txfiremank5

Well, at that end of the shackle (closest to the pivot point) it shouldn't need a tremendous amount of travel, but it will of course need some.

If nothings else, front shackles are easy enough to make... or plenty cheap to buy. :thumb: But, yeah, it would be nice to have some free ones ready to go. Maybe you could sell them to some yota guy for the cost of a new set for yourself.

10. bigblazer87

Yeah, it's too bad I don't have a welder, cause I'd love to make my own, but it looks like I'll just give Kert some more business if these don't work out. I'll have to find out if one of my wheeling buds with 'Yotas wants some new lift shackles for the rear of their rigs. ;)