Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Loose 465 shifter...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

So the shifter on my 465 just kinda flops around all loose. The one in my gramps '83 is nice and tight- Kinda like it's spring loaded. I've had mine out and fixed the broken tack weld on the end of the shifter. That helped alittle bit untill the weld broke again. Whats the deal with these things? Is there a way to fix mine to be tight again? Or is it just worn out? Not super important to fix I guess, would be nice though. :crazy:

2. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

I highly doubt this would have anything to do with a ride through tank trap in a bit over 7mins. :D

you want me to bring the video and you can watch it before I send it off to jason?

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

4. Zeus33rd

Nahh....it's always been loose. Just thought about trying to figure it out today. :doah:

That would be cool if you could bring that video...I'd love to see it. :eek1: :haha:
    Whoa...thanks for that link. I hadn't seen that article at all....Sweet!

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Haha, that's funny. I thought I was the only one who held the rollpins in with a hose clamp. :p:

6. Zeus33rd

I kinda laughed about that too- Laughed at myself. I've been trying to keep those roll pins in for eeever. I lost one at Blazer Fest actually. I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of the hose clamps myself. :crazy:

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

cool link...

Mine is sloppy too.. however my welds arent broken and my pins arent falling out :crazy:

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The shifter "snout", as shown in the pirate picture, is not explained in detail.

Drive the roll pin out of the snout, and drop the piece that engages the shift rail. Either you will see two square cut rubber-ish o-rings(? not o-rings, square like some seals) you will see pieces of said, or you will see two bare grooves.

Whatever GM used hardens up and falls out. I had no luck finding any o-rings that were large enough diameter, with a thick enough ring, to make the fit tight. Some have as I recall, I didn't have many to choose from. I'm sure the GM ones were much tighter than what I ended up with. In any case, I found some o-rings that were better than nothing, and installed them.

There is a huge difference between my 1986 tranny and the 1974 tranny it replaced in the way the shifter feels, and it is definitely not JUST the o-ring, as I didn't really fix the problem with the shifter itself. Probably just general wear and age. For one thing, I guarantee the shift fork coatings are mostly/all gone in the '74, and in much better shape on the '86.

9. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I have one in the shop that didn't have the o-rings but had some plastic that appears to have been injected in there...kinda like what they used origionaly on some of their front CV joints to keep the caps in. It had also worn out and was sloppy :doah:

10. gonecheenin

gonecheenin 1/2 ton status

I always just welded the bottom 2pcs to each other and the shifter itself

Problem solved