Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

loose column shifter?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pismorat, Mar 19, 2003.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

When I am going up a steep dune or hill in 4wd, if I have the tranny(TH350) in Drive, it tends to slip into Nuetral, if I have it in Second, it goes into Drive. What could the reason for this be? I recently re-built my tranny(for other reasons), and it had done this before, so it must be something else. Any suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Any chance the column is loose and with you holding on while being shaken around, the lever is moving? I know the lever gets loose when the column loosens up, or at least tends to.

Is the shift linkage hitting anything in the engine bay or underneath when the engine torques or the frame twists?

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I bet you just need to adjust the shift linkage. It might be almost between gears and when you hit a bump (or the motor moves because of the torque) it changes gears.