Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Loose front clip......suggestions please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Feb 17, 2003.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

I have been meaning to deal with this for quite a while but procrastination is my middle name . When driving down the road with the little bumps and pot holes the front clip shakes the hood and both fenders. Good mounts to the frame in the front but the back where it bolts to the cab at the top near the hood springs is cracked and the inner fenders are rusted out around the bolts only. So what have you done to remedy your problem like this ? WELD new plate over bolt holes then drill out hole , reweld cracks with some inforcement at the top or could I just weld the inner fenders to cab instead of bolting it back ? Open to all suggestions and experiences /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd have to weld a plate in, or depending on how much money you have, just get "new" (to you) inner fenders. They can't be more than $10-20 each, they usually aren't damaged short of the rust hole where the reinforcement plate is. (at least out here, where salt is only in the ocean)

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Don't know about Alaska, but replacement parts are really cheap around these parts. If ya don't have access to any just weld her up I guess.....

4. twenty_below0

I dont consider 110.00 a cheap fix for inner fender wells . Thats what I would pay here for them shipped . /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Have you checked out an outfit called "certi-fit"? (or some other spelling of that)

I bought a grille from them, and although I had to work on it for about 30 minutes to get everything to line up (trim pieces only) it was still worth it at $20 *new*.

I'd check with them, no way it can cost that much to ship them up there. You don't have ANY chev trucks your vintage in a wrecking yard or being parted out up there?

6. twenty_below0

I will be looking for the best deal I can find but the welding a plate on looks appealing too ..... and we sadly dont have a junk yard here since about 96 when it was closed which really sucks since everyone who has parts trucks dont let go of the good parts....go figure /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif LOL