Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

loose hub bolts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by amm888, Sep 2, 2002.

1. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

just took off my front tires and noticed that two of the bolts on the passenger hub are a bit loose. is this a problem, or just something that happens that i don't need to worry about.

thanks
    alex

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Could you clarify what you mean by "bolt"? Is it the wheel studs, allen bolts that hold the locking hub dial on, or what?

3. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

they're the wheel studs. one is actually so stripped that it won't even hold a nut (i've been driving with 5 outta 6 for a while now).

looks like a i have to disassemble the 4X4 lock mechanism if i want to replace the bolt...shouldn't be much of an ordeal, right?

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Is it an auto hub? I've looked at a schematic of those and there are like 50 trillion little pieces.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

If ya got manual hubs, here's what ya got to do. Make sure you have that special slotted socket, pick it up at any parts store.

Take the hub off, manuals come out easy. There's like a ring in a groove at this point I believe, screwdriver will take it out.

Then I believe this is where the special socket comes into play. There's a nut down in the hub that comes. Of course you will have to pull off the brake caliper and then pull of the rotor and hub assembly. You will see how the hub and rotor go together with the lug studs.

Of course you got to put it back together the same way. The bearings have to be torqued down, to 80 pounds. You will need a torque wrench, but a cheap redneck way without the torque wrench is to tighten it down, then spin the rotor to check for tightness and wobble it back and forth. Not too tight, not too loose.

But....................you should really invest into something like a Haynes manual like I have refered to in this post. It will help ya a lot.

6. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i've got a manual hub, and it does have just over fifty trillion pieces in it...

i've got the chilton's manual, but i wasn't sure if i had to pull out all that inner-workings hub stuff out just to get to the bolts. i guess i do, huh?

i've got the wheel and caliper and the hub-cover out. and now it doesn't exactly look like the pic in the chilton's, and it doesn't exactly look like something i wanna mess with!

i wish i could just yank the damn hub off...

7. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

can you do this without having to mess with the bearings?

my chilton's doesn't have a section for just pulling off the hub.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Nope, the bearing gots to come off. Refer back to my previous post about the special socket, that's for the nut that holds the bearings onto the spindle.

9. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i'm still stuck after taking off the cover of the hub off. mine's different than the one they got in the manual, and i'm not sure what to pull out.

don't know what a special slotted socket is either...think i might just slip the wheel back on and deal with 5 bolts instead of six.

you know if it's a bad idea to keep driving on 5 bolts?

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    i'm still stuck after taking off the cover of the hub off. mine's different than the one they got in the manual, and i'm not sure what to pull out.

don't know what a special slotted socket is either...think i might just slip the wheel back on and deal with 5 bolts instead of six.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a hub socket, has four prongs on it to fit into the bearing nut to take it off.

Go down to the store and get a Haynes manual. It has a good enough picture with all the internal parts that you will be dealing with. I don't have my Chilton's handy, so I can't comment on the crappiness of this section.