Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Loose pinion on D44...1/8" play

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, May 1, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Loose pinion on D44...1/8\" play

I pulled the axles from my truck tonight to take to a fellow club member on Sunday in trade for an 8 lug 4.10 10 bolt. When I got the 44 out, I grabbed the yoke, and the hole pinion moves in and out of the housing about 1/8". So I took it all apart to see what was going on. It's down to the bare housing now. I looked at everything- Both pinion bearings look fine, the races in the housing look fine. Pinion gear looks fine. Shims, oil slinger, yoke, washer, and pinion nut are ok. Everything was where it was supposed to be and no broken parts. So WTF is going on here? I cleaned everything up, and tried to put it all back together. Everything went back together the way it supposed too, till I start tightening down the pinion nut. It gets to a certain point and won't go any further. Right back to the 1/8" of play. Could the inner race possibly have spun in the housing and backed it self out enuff to cause this? When I looked at it, It looked to me like it was seated all the way in the housing. I'm pretty much lost now. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Re: Loose pinion on D44...1/8\" play

I'll do some digging through My "stuff" tomorrow, and let You know what's going on in there. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Re: Loose pinion on D44...1/8\" play

Thank you. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif