Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Loose shock mount

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mastiff, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

On the rear passenger side of my K5, the shock is attached to the frame at the top by a mount thing that is screwed through a hole in the frame. I assume it's similar on everyone's? The particular mount hardware I have now came with my RS5000 shocks.

Anyway, the mount thing that attaches to the frame always comes loose. I tighten it as much as I can, and within a month it's totally loose again. When it's loose, I can push on the rear bumper and hear it rattling/creaking.

Any suggestions for how to deal with this? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Weld it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

85K5 3/4ton 14bff/10b,9" lift,16.5x14 welds,big horse 406SBC/700r4

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

If you should decide to weld it be carefull, the fuel lines run inside the frame rails right by the shock mount. Have you tried to put some thread lock on it or locking washers?

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Lock nuts......

5. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

aircraft locknutsand locktight

6. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

purposely cross thread the bolt /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif just kidding. Yes welding be really careful. blue thread lock would be a good choice or nylock nuts.

7. Mastiff

Well, both rear mounts were loose. I had no lock washers, but the nuts themselves were those nasty oval shaped self-locking ones. Anyway, I went and got some grade 8 washers and locknuts (the old washers kept getting bent out of shape). I think I've got it torqued down pretty well. We'll see how it goes...

Loose shocks make quite a racket. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. Mastiff

A follow up here. Turns out the source of the repeated loosening (and mysterious noise) is the fact that my shock was limiting my travel on the rear driver's side. It took me a while to figure this out, but when I jacked up the frame until the tire came off the ground, it was pretty obvious.

I thought to check this out when it finally struck me that the shock mount was angled down. I'm kinda peeved that Rancho sold me a lift "kit" with shocks too short for the rear lift. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Now I need to get some better shocks that are softer AND don't hit when the suspension droops. It kinda sucks that I can't trust the manufacturer charts for shock application though.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

It's actually a GM engineered problem....You will find lots of rants about this.

It is sad that they fawked up like they did and the only way around fixing it is either throw on limiting straps or redesigning the shock mounts so you can use the whole shock, none of this losing 3 inches of droop cause the shocks are too short.

10. Mastiff

It looks like the shocks I have on there have a range of 16" to 26.25". I was only about an inch from full droop with the shock maxed out. I can get a DT8368 that goes 17" to 29.5" and have a few inches to spare. I'm not sure if the shock would limit the stuff on the short side, but I've got some huge poly bumpstops that must be at least 2" longer than stock. It seems like that should protect me. And I don't plan on getting airborne anyway...

Now I need to figure out what to do with the front duals. I think they are limiting me too. If I only attach one, should it be the inner one or the outer one? I like the outer (front) one because it's longer, but I'd also prefer to mount the shock inside the shock mount on the axle side, not outside it with a super long bolt.

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I'm using Gabriel #G63438 shocks in the rear. $20. They're around 27" long fully extended. So far I haven't had any problems.

That's the longest one I could find made by Gabriel that had the ends we need. They do make one that is 29" long but one end is different than the other.