Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

loose steering box

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5floyd, Aug 13, 2006.

1. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

my steering has a ton of play in it and it seems most if not all of it is coming from the the steering box. a buddy told me there was a bolt i could adjust to tighten it up, anyone know how to do this or where that bolt is? i think its the one on the top of it but not sure.

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

its a myth. there is a bolt with an allen head on the top of your box that is for the adjustment of bearing preload. by tightening it, you can simply make the steering wheel harder to turn. to some, this leads them to believe they have eliminated slop.

there will always be SOME slop is this style steering box, the best you can do is ensure that ALL the other parts are in tip top shape(tie rod, drag link, rag joint, etc.)

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

dont forget to check the frame were the box mounts. thay do crack over time and abuse.

4. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

The bolt on the top can be adjusted to reduce the play between the gears on the sector shaft and rack piston . Parts Mike has a short writeup on how it should be adjusted. This adjustment can actually eliminate some steering play. It doesn't just effect bearing preload.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The "other" adjustment..

There is another adjustment on the steering colum rag joint end of the box--a big locknut and a threaded sleeve with "spanner" wrench holes adjusts the worm and sector...every box I tried "adjusting" there either leaked like a seive,or had lumpy and unreliable steering afterwards..I say dont touch it--buy a better box,either good used one,or a rebuilt..the box is probably worn out,no amount of fiddling with adjustments will cure that..:crazy:

6. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

thanks guys, greatly appreciated