Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

loose steering column. . .

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by mr_fujisawa, Oct 11, 2003.

1. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

just got in to the s-10 recently and when i was trying to get out of the parallel parked spot i was in i found that the steering column is really loose. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif i am wondering if any of you guys know what part it might be that either broke or loosened up. and if you know what part it is, could you tell me how hard it is to replace it? it is an '88 s-10 w/ tilt steering. it seems to be in the area near or after the tilt mechanism
    thanks
    sean /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Once you work your way down inside the column, you'll find 4 loose bolts that GM didn't feel required any LocTite. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I removed each bolt (one at a time, so you don't drop the whole column apart!) and put LocTite on 'em and then tightened them down quite firmly. That column is now very solid. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

awesome, thanks guys! got to take care of that soon. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif